Furnace - oil or gas?

Hi Everyone, I?ve got to put in a new furnace. I live in Ottawa Ontario Canada. The quote for the gas furnace was $4300 about 1,000 bucks more then the oil furnace. Thing is, I?ve got a new oil tank and a full tank of oil. Just bought the house thus the tank and the oil. The oil would be a 85% efficient model and the gas a 93% efficient model. House is about 1400 square foot. Is gas any better to have then oil? Right now I believe the cost of the fuels are basically the same.

What do people think. Oil or gas?

Thanks, John

Reply to
Jdmst

Even with fuel prices being equal I would still go with gas. The new gas furnaces are almost maintainance free. Where any oil furnace still needs an anual tune up to maintain it lower efficancy. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Hi, NG is cleaner. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Depending on how rural the area is, another plus of having gas is that you can add a space heater (preferably vented) to provide emergency heat in the event of power failure.

Bob

Reply to
jdh

As long as it's available and about the same price, I'd always go with gas. Oil furnaces rely on sraying oil out of a nozzle with a hole the size of a hair. It doesn't take much to foul it up, hence one of the reasons for more frequent maintenance. Plus, you have the problem of where to put the oil tank. If you bury it, that's another problem. If the existing tank is buried and has been around for 20 years or more, now would be a good time to get rid of that too, before it starts leaking.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I'd pick gas. Maybe you could sell the unused oil. Consider adding more insulation regardless. I spent $200 on additional insulation 12 years ago and glad I did ! A programmable thermostat helps too.

Reply to
Phisherman

Right now gas is the way to go, but I'm hearing lots of talk about shortages in the near future. The one nice thing about oil is that when you're tank is full you're good to go for a month or so. With gas you are forever reliant upon that supply pipe.

I've used both and there is no doubt that gas is cleaner and virtually odourless.... but I have to say that in January or February I always liked the feeling that I had a tankfull of oil in the basement.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

I just want to thanks everyone for the help. It is appreciatied.

One more question, given the base costs noted below, I don't really see that the extra 1000 spent on gas will be recouped over the life of the furnace? I'm terrible with numbers though, what do others think? Can gas return that extra 1000 over th elife of the furnace?

Thanks agaon everyone.

John

Reply to
Jdmst

Other than the initial cost of the gas furnace, have you considered the cost of heating domestic water? And the lower maintainence costs of gas heating appliances?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

What do you pay for gas for a heating season? Look into a 94.5% gas unit it will save more than you think. There is a formula for this , I forgot it, but a 94.5% Vs a 85% will save apx 12% on gas. Figure the price of oil and gas going up over the years and if you use allot of gas for heating you could have a short payback. Also figure in the cost of oil burner tune ups which gas doesnt need . I would go gas, you may find out it is less than a 4 yr payback

Reply to
m Ransley

"HA HA Budys Here" wrote

I'm not one to push oil, but you also have to consider the cost of running oil-fired heaters VS gas-fired.

I am guessing (from his original post) that he can only get propane (not natural gas) and it's a helluva lot more expensive to use than oil is......

Reply to
Dr, Hardcrab

Don't know what you pay for oil or gas, so it is hard to say. But $4300 if that is U.S. (even if it is Cdn) is damn high. My 4 years old and my gas furnace and water heater for a 1500 s.f. house cost only $2300 (U.S.) installed. A friend had his complete heating system (gas heat and A/C) replaced for $3500. You do the conversions if your figures were for Cdn

One factor is that gas will be cleaner than oil. Maintenance costs are unlikely to be cheaper with gas. So it boils down mostsly to intial cost and annual fuel costs.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hi, We have natural gas available to us not Propane. All replies so far have advocated gas not oil. I do appreciate all the help. Thanks John

Reply to
Jdmst

Hi George, I tired to find the cost of the unit (Carrier 58MTA060) on line but I couldn't find a cost anywhere. Guess it is a closely guarded secret. I do have a couple of other people coming into give me an estimate so that should help nail the true cost down. Thanks for the interest and the help.

BTW. Oil cost us .55 cents per litre and gas costs .28 cents per cubic metre

John

Reply to
Jdmst