Furnace Near End of Lifespan After 14 Years?

Our 14 year old Byrant Plus 90 furnace has been diagnosed with a failing blower motor. The cost to have a new motor installed is $800. The tech suggested that rather than replacing the motor, we consider purchasing a new furnace, because it has been his experience that the replacement blower motors have some sort of conflict with the circuit boards in the furnace. He added that 12 to 15 years of life was typical for this type of furnace, so a replacement furnace at this time was not unusual.

If we were to replace the furnace, is there another brand that might have a longer average lifespan than 12 to 15 years? Or is 12 to 15 years of use typical for all forced air, high efficiency gas furnaces, regardless of maker?

Reply to
clemke

Is everything else working o.k.? Get another opinion. And another.

Lena

Reply to
Lena

I would tend to be reluctant to put $800 in a 14 year old furnace. I know nothing about the possible conflict with the circuit board, but it sounds fishy to me. I would (and will when my time comes) take advantage of the situation to upgrade several ways.

I suggest getting estimates for a replacement before you make up your mind. Note: I did say estimates - more than one. Make sure anyone making an estimate take a look on site and that they consider your whole system and what upgrades or changes might be a good idea now.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
800.00 for a motor...what next? contact Byrant, ask for customer service,get some info, ask questions..you could probably a new a new motor from Grainger for 150.00 bucks at the most..I don't know if Im old fashioned or what ,but I cant believe some stuff that goes on. My Trane furnace is 12 years old, looks and runs like brand new, last year, a lighting storm took out the blower motor..replaced it at Grainger for 85.00. You can do it!

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Hi, Conflict with control board? That sounds like BS. And what could go wrong with a motor? Usuallt bearing/bushing which is not hard to replace. If I were you, I'd take the motor to repair shop and let them rebuild it. If there i no other obvious problem, it'll last another few years. My last two furnaces last little over 20 years. Current one(Carrier) is ~11 years old and I had two problems. Control logic board which I managed to fix, and burned out HSI which I replaced.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Unless the heat exchanger is cracked your unit is fine just needing repairs, call Bryant about the board issue but im sure you can get the motor for less. Your repair guy wants to sell you a new unit, what did you expect.

Reply to
m Ransley

I wont respond to what someone charges because, plain and simple.............I cant see it from here. I dont recommend doing your own repairs but thats up to you. What I would recommend doing is call a few heating repair places. Give them the model and serial of your furnace. If you have any info on your motor, give that to them too. Then ask them if they can give you an approximate estimate (I did say APPROXIMATE) over the phone. If you hear what you like, then see if they can come out and look at it (for a fee, of course) and ask them what they will charge to fix it. Quite honestly, the board conflict sounds like hogwash. On the other hand, 14 yrs is ge

Reply to
Bubba

**Sorry about that last post.........let me try again.......** I wont respond to what someone charges because, plain and simple.............I cant see it from here. I dont recommend doing your own repairs but thats up to you. What I would recommend doing is call a few heating repair places. Give them the model and serial of your furnace. If you have any info on your motor, give that to them too. Then ask them if they can give you an approximate estimate (I did say APPROXIMATE) over the phone. If you hear what you like, then see if they can come out and look at it (for a fee, of course) and ask them what they will charge to fix it. Quite honestly, the board conflict sounds like hogwash. On the other hand, 14 yrs is getting near the upper end of a furnace life. Some last less, others last maybe 20ish. Just depends on the care its had. Get other quotes and see what falls outta the woodwork Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

"Bubba >" On 9 Mar 2006 15:03:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@email.toast.net wrote: (snip)

Well, this 1960 house, as far as I can tell, has the original furnace. I'm sure the motor has been replaced by now, though. My grandmothers 1961 house, which I sold to a family friend a few years back, also has the original pink furnace, but I know that motor has been swapped at least once, because I did it.

Yes, I'm planning on new furnace this year for my place, but only due to the cost of gas going so high.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

"Honey", you are not following along. The OP has a Bryant Plus 90 furnace. Those DONT, DIDNT and WONT last 40+ years like your pink furnace. It also doesnt have a big black 20 LB 1/4hp belt drive motor that you can pour a quart of oil in every season and still keeps blowing air like a champ. It also didnt have a 1/8" thick steel heat exchanger. Im talking a Bryant Plus 90. It was a furnace produced by Bryant/Carrier so they could see how much money they could drain from a customers wallet by replacing every part on it. Some of them several times. Old? You want to know old? Ive seen doughnut hot water coal converted boilers that are 80 years old in residential homes that are STILL working. 1" thick cast iron will last a hell of a long time. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks for the replies. Sounds I need a few more techs to take a look and give me their assessment. I've also realized my assumption was that furnaces last 40 - 50 years is way off.

The inducer motor was intermittently making an awful racket last heating season and earlier this year. You could get it to quiet itself by lightly tapping on it. It hasn't made that noise in a while, so in that respect I suppose I've "lucked out" on one potential repair bill.

Reply to
clemke

Nope. Not lucky. You have merely posponed the repair for a short time. Tapping it only lets the shaft move slightly on the bearing to a different spot. It will soon fail. They all do. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

====> My Bryant was taken out of service after 26 years. And then, 2 years later, returned to service as a "helper" furnace for the garage shop and upstairs areas. As long as the heat exchanger isn't cracked and it works, there's no danger from it. It's been in that position for 11 years now. It has to work a lot less hard there, but it's still going strong. You -might- be at the nickel-dime point, but then again maybe not. I just don't buy an $800 fan motor unless there's a darned good reason for it to cost that much. I installed it myself, but my last fan motor cost me $125 five or six years ago.

has been diagnosed with a

====> Failing how? There's failing and there's "failing"; different. I think he wants to install/sell a furnace.

The cost to have a new motor installed is $800. ====> I dispute that. Unless there's something very complex or unique there, it shouldn't be anywhere near that much. I think he wants to sell a furnace.

====> That's crap. As long as the motor is within the current/power capabilities of the controls, it's going to be OK. Well, unless HE installs one for you; then I'd bet on it "breaking" because of that "conflict" he mentioned, and you'lll be responsible for needing a whole new furnace then, and he'll say "I told you so".

He added that 12 to 15 years of life was typical

====> Again, crap! The lifetime of furnaces, if PM Is done at all, is much longer than that. What usually makes a furnace fall from favor is the newer ones get more efficient and cost less to run, have new features, etc etc etc.. The major concern with a furnace is that the heat exchanger be in good shape; no cracks, leaks, etc.. As long as the heat exchange lives, the furnace can live. Now, it might be $800 or more to replace a heat exchanger. But not a fan motor. IMO, anyhway.

====> NOt in my opinion. Nozzles and Fan motors would be the most replaced, especially if not serviced periodically, followed by pumps, other motors, relays, maybe a transformer, all meant to be replaced items. Second would probably be the oil pump and nozzle if it's an oil fired furnace. Gas fired has even fewer components that need replacing. I"ve probably borked that descrip, but you get the general idea.

I'd get another estimate or three at least, if you're going to consider another furnace; I don't think you want this guy to do it. I think I'd tell that guy thanks, and try another repair outfit. See what they say. Around here, Agway is the worst place to get service or installs from. So try to find out who's good in your area and try them.

I'd sure like to know about it if someone else suggests it's $800 for a fan motor - and why, so I hope you post back when you finally bite the bullet. It's a hard decision sometimes.

Pop

Reply to
PopS

Sounds like BS to me and that perhaps the so called "tech" might get a commission on a new unit. Call another independent HVAC guy for another opinion. I changed the blower motor on our old furnace. Cost $160+ IIRC and took a couple of hours including the trip to Grainger to get a new motor. Lasted for years until we changed the furnace when we converted to gas and got central AC.

Reply to
NickySantoro

I guess my furnace is living on borrowed time, it's the original Lenox installed in the house 59 years ago. I had the blower motor re-built a couple of times & just general checkups but its still working fine. Probably not very efficient in comparison to the current new furnaces. Although I'm looking to replace it & get whole house A/C this year. Al

--> On 9 Mar 2006 15:03:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@email.toast.net wrote: >

Reply to
Al Margita

Chainging out a blowe motor is about as easy, if not easier, than doing an oil change on a car. Remove the old motor and capacitor (if applicable) and bring them to Grainger and tell them that you need a new one. They should be abel to help you out. And it won't cost $800 either. I could get one for maybe $65-70

Reply to
scott21230

Question for those of you who have replaced the motor in your furnaces yourselves. Did you use a manual? Is one necessary to successfully remove and replace the motor? If manuals exist, where do you get them?

Reply to
clemke

Nope. No manuals. Just a wrench and screwdriver and nut driver.

Reply to
Bubba

Roy Starrin

I'd get another estimate. The one blower motor I replaced (also on a Bryant) was a bit less than that. The h.o. had reset the circuit breaker repeatedly until it stayed on. So, she fried the circuit board in addition to the blower. I got some markup, and my usual house call and labor. Came out about $500 if memory serves.

The breaker is telling you something. Reset once, and if it trips off again, call the repairman.

My guess is your furnace is good for a few more years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon