Furnace installed improperly

I've got a 2005 manufactured home, it's still under warranty. I just discovered that my high efficiency gas furnace has been venting into my attic. It's apparently been doing this all winter. The roof deck is sagging by the exhaust vent and the sheating on the north side of the house is coming loose. My concern is the way they may repair this and what I should require. I'm scared of problems down the road after the warrenty runs out this year. Any ideas?

Reply to
chevybb

Any signs of mold? If so, hire a lawyer, file a lawsuit for replacement of the entire structure.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Take lost of photos inside and out, document, document, document everything in writing. Demand any costs estimates, statements of work, and invoices in writing and save copies. Write down dates and times and names when you call any of the involved parties.

Without seeing the damage, it's difficult to say what will be required. The furnace installer should bear the cost of this. The vent obviously has to be properly installed, any moisture damage to the roof, walls, ceilings, insulation, etc will have to be repaired. Be very involved in this process, talk to the local building code officials/inspectors about this, be there while the repairs are made if possible, talk to the contractor performing the work, watch what is being done, take before/after photos. You don't necessarily have to be rude or angry, but make sure they know that you are seeing what's going on and that you expect all problems to be completely resolved. It may be worthwhile to you to spend a little to hire someone to thoroughly inspect the attic and surrounding areas for any hidden damage (or if someone you know or are related to is capable of this, so much the better - just a neutral 3rd party who is knowledgeable would be good).

I'm far from an expert on this sort of situation, but I think that's how I would handle it if it were me.

Reply to
louie

sorry, that first line should read: "...LOTS of photos..."

Reply to
louie

You own a house. Congratulations. Get used to spending money.

The one useful Idea I can think of is to find out from the company how much money they'll give you *NOT* to fix it themselves, and then put that money towards hiring someone else to deal with it. They may not be willing to do that at all, and if they are, it will certainly cost you more to get it fixed than they'll give you.

Reply to
Goedjn

Don't even worry about mold, yet. The implications of what's happened, and the potential numbers involved, make it foolish _not_ to get legal representation now.

One well-versed in local real-estate law.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

It was was inspected and given a cert of ocupancy right. or a troll .

Reply to
m Ransley

"It was was inspected and given a cert of ocupancy right"

I once had a 200A heavy-up inspected in 5 minutes, breaker panel door was never opened, much less the cover removed.

So I'm not suprised, ever, at what an inspector can miss.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Damn! I must be dislexic. That's what I read the first time....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

My home inspectors missed the fact that half my kitchen was built over a crawlspace. Duh.

Reply to
Doug Kanter
2005 manufactured home....sounds like the original furnace installed by the mobile home manufacturer.......Id sue the pants off them...

If its some residental slack jawed hvac firm I would just pay someone else to fix it. Taking everythying from some car trunking works out of his house residential contractor wont get you nothing..

Its hard to sell cheap furniture and junk cars to try and recoup your losses.

Reply to
cornytheclown

And that proves it was done right? Who the troll here?

Reply to
dont.write.me

Is there something wrong with that?

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Yeah. They discussed a million details about how to make the house more comfortable in winter - stuff like putting those foam things behind electrical switch covers, and repairing weatherstripping that the prior owner had neglected. I pointed out the crawlspace, which was never insulated correctly and asked about the proper way to do it. Both guys said "Hmm....didn't catch that."

Reply to
Doug Kanter

O.K., I gotcha now.

I thought maybe new codes don't allow crawlspaces anymore or something....

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

No - still allowed. But, it makes me wonder just how cheap it was to heat houses in 1956, when this was built. Absolutely no effort was made to insulate the crawlspace, and it's the main dining area. The floor's ice cold. It's gonna be a project.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks for all the good ideas. This is not my first house, it was supposed to be the retirement house. The furnace is factory installed, as I said all repair work is covered by the factory at no cost to me. I've already taken pictures of the seen problems, but until a crew gets here to open up the attic from the outside(there is no other way in) I won't know the extent of the damage. Sounds like I should be prepared to go to the wall with them.

Reply to
chevybb

They provided no attic access from the inside??? This gets better and better. Did you actually speak to any of the people who built this house? Were they drunk all day?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Of course you would. You are a stupid drunk idiot. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You too are dumber than a f***in rock. You response doesnt even make any sense. Did you grow up in an outhouse? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba