Furnace installed improperly

Page 1 of 2
I've got a 2005 manufactured home, it's still under warranty. I just discovered that my high efficiency gas furnace has been venting into my attic. It's apparently been doing this all winter. The roof deck is sagging by the exhaust vent and the sheating on the north side of the house is coming loose. My concern is the way they may repair this and what I should require. I'm scared of problems down the road after the warrenty runs out this year. Any ideas?
chevybb wrote:

Any signs of mold? If so, hire a lawyer, file a lawsuit for replacement of the entire structure.
Don't even worry about mold, yet. The implications of what's happened, and the potential numbers involved, make it foolish _not_ to get legal representation now.
One well-versed in local real-estate law.
HTH, J
It was was inspected and given a cert of ocupancy right. or a troll .
"It was was inspected and given a cert of ocupancy right"
I once had a 200A heavy-up inspected in 5 minutes, breaker panel door was never opened, much less the cover removed.
So I'm not suprised, ever, at what an inspector can miss.
Dave

My home inspectors missed the fact that half my kitchen was built over a crawlspace. Duh.

Is there something wrong with that?

Yeah. They discussed a million details about how to make the house more comfortable in winter - stuff like putting those foam things behind electrical switch covers, and repairing weatherstripping that the prior owner had neglected. I pointed out the crawlspace, which was never insulated correctly and asked about the proper way to do it. Both guys said "Hmm....didn't catch that."

O.K., I gotcha now.
I thought maybe new codes don't allow crawlspaces anymore or something....
;-]

No - still allowed. But, it makes me wonder just how cheap it was to heat houses in 1956, when this was built. Absolutely no effort was made to insulate the crawlspace, and it's the main dining area. The floor's ice cold. It's gonna be a project.
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:15:17 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

We bought our house used in 1957. It was probably built after 1950. In indianapolis, the whole house was built over a crawl space and though I was only in the crawl space twice**, I don't remember any insulation. We had gas forced air. I used to sit on the floor in the den, with a thin rug,and it was always warm enough.
We had to remember to close the crawl space vents in the winter and open them in the summer, or was it the other wway around?
**It was always muddy down there, even when I just looked in. (maybe I should have made a point to look during August.) I think the water table was about an inch below the bottom of the crawl space, which was about 3 feet high. I didn't relish bending over, so I was glad we never had to do anything down there.
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:30:18 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

And that proves it was done right? Who the troll here?

Take lost of photos inside and out, document, document, document everything in writing. Demand any costs estimates, statements of work, and invoices in writing and save copies. Write down dates and times and names when you call any of the involved parties.
Without seeing the damage, it's difficult to say what will be required. The furnace installer should bear the cost of this. The vent obviously has to be properly installed, any moisture damage to the roof, walls, ceilings, insulation, etc will have to be repaired. Be very involved in this process, talk to the local building code officials/inspectors about this, be there while the repairs are made if possible, talk to the contractor performing the work, watch what is being done, take before/after photos. You don't necessarily have to be rude or angry, but make sure they know that you are seeing what's going on and that you expect all problems to be completely resolved. It may be worthwhile to you to spend a little to hire someone to thoroughly inspect the attic and surrounding areas for any hidden damage (or if someone you know or are related to is capable of this, so much the better - just a neutral 3rd party who is knowledgeable would be good).
I'm far from an expert on this sort of situation, but I think that's how I would handle it if it were me.
sorry, that first line should read: "...LOTS of photos..."

Damn! I must be dislexic. That's what I read the first time....
;-]
most important:
is the venting rectified?
install a carbon monoxide detector immediatly [ today ]
get an attorney, the side of the roof might have to be replaced and they will try and lowball the repair
dont sign anything until you speak with an attorney.
--
whodat

You own a house. Congratulations. Get used to spending money.
The one useful Idea I can think of is to find out from the company how much money they'll give you *NOT* to fix it themselves, and then put that money towards hiring someone else to deal with it. They may not be willing to do that at all, and if they are, it will certainly cost you more to get it fixed than they'll give you.

You too are dumber than a fuckin rock. You response doesnt even make any sense. Did you grow up in an outhouse? Bubba
2005 manufactured home....sounds like the original furnace installed by the mobile home manufacturer.......Id sue the pants off them...
If its some residental slack jawed hvac firm I would just pay someone else to fix it. Taking everythying from some car trunking works out of his house residential contractor wont get you nothing..
Its hard to sell cheap furniture and junk cars to try and recoup your losses.
On 28 Feb 2006 13:25:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Of course you would. You are a stupid drunk idiot. Bubba