Furnace filters

The filter we're using in the furnace is the cheapie one that costs maybe a buck or less but it only stops the bigger stuff that would hurt the blower. I would like one that would filter the very small stuff. Right now the TV screen catches most of the dust. I see many different kinds but don't know how good they really do. Would like something below 100.00. Does anyone on here have a good recommendation? Thanks Dennis

Reply to
Michindo

Consumer Reports likes the disposable Filtrete from 3M. Although you are throwing away a $15 filter every 3 months, you don't have to wash it and it works better than many permanent washable filters. Also some of those have disposable parts any way. Make sure you have an adequate air mover because a good filter does slow down the air unless it is one of those professionally installed ones that are several inches thick.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Bubba

No furnace filter performs magic, and as I said you need a good air handler but Consumer Reports found it superior to cheaper pleated filters and most permanent filters.

"Bubba >" That $15 3M filter is a waste of money. Too air restrictive and it

Reply to
Art

Menards sells a pleated filter for about $2.50 ($1.50 on sale I buy a case at a time) they claim its good for 90 days I change it every 30 days.I think that the 90 day filters restrict the air flow, if your house is really dusty.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

I use these, they are the strongest filter my unit can handle. I change them every 30 days, mostly cause they come 12 to a box.

Best do some reading on the static air pressure of your unit before choosing something that might cause problems.

Grainger puts them on sale for about $5 bucks each a couple of times a year.

Reply to
SQLit

The cheap filters are what I recommend to my customers most times. The Grainger pleat says "Recommended Final Resistance 1.0 In WC, High Initial Resistance 0.38 In"

No residential system I have seen can handle a 1.0" WC final filter resistance, plus have enough pressure to overcome duct and grille and coil resistance. Even the initial resistance of .38" WC is too high for most residential systems. This filter will reduce air flow 10 to

20 % right out of the box. The exception is blowers with Variable Speed motors, but even they will not be able to handle the 90 day final resistance of 1.0" WC.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch