furnace filter tray (?)

In my house - the only house I remember, lived there since I was four, family home, etc etc etc - the furnace filters sit - somewhat shakily - in a groove in the side of the furnace down by the floor. You replace the filter by taking off the front service panel and reaching under the blower. It's dirty, dark, and uncomfortable and you have to set the filter j-u-u-u-u-u-st right or the air blows it over. I just figured that's how the world works.
On a visit to my in-laws I had the opportunity to see how the rest of the world puts in their filters, sliding them in to a slot in the cold air return. Damn, what a revelation.
So here's my question: could someone point me to a resource where I can find out how to make/where to buy - how to install a place to put my filters?
Thanks!
- Wm
-- William Morris, Tailor Seamlyne Reproductions http://www.seamlyne.com
Any HVAC contractor should be able to supply you with what you need.
Yes, of course. I am, however, looking for the means to do the job on my own.
Thanks!
- Wm

What I meant was that an HVAC contractor could supply you with the materials for you to do the job yourself.
Roger that, thank you. I tend to approach every job with the attitude that with enough moxy I can tackle just about anything not too heavy to lift by myself, until I'm educated otherwise either by my own experience or, as in this case, the good advice of folks who know better.
Thank you both.
- Wm

materials