Furnace Filter Questions

Heat pump, particularly. Are the cleanable filters the best? They are a PITA to clean, and I wonder if I get them clean. At a new house I bought, I have the pleated paper filters. Not el cheapos, but the better ones. They really catch the dirt. Now I'm confused. What filters the best? The pleated ones are a little spendy when you consider you change them frequently, and the washable ones are definitely spendy.
What say ye?
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Hi, I use washable, two of them. While on is being used one is washed, dried, kept as spare. I vacuum, then wash it under running tap water, shake it and dry. You can wash it in a dish washer if you want to. I have an EAC as well.
SteveB wrote:

Basic disposables as pre-filter, followed by a proper electrostatic precipitator air cleaner with grids that are dishwasher safe. Just pull the grids and run through the dishwasher, and replace the disposable pre-filter.
You must define "best."
The purpose of that filter is to remove larger dust and lint and keep it out of the furnace. Almost any filter will take care of that.
Today there are lots of companies selling various filters to "filter" better. You can spend some really big dollars on this if you like.
The only really important thing is that you have a basic filter and that it is not clogged enough to restrict air flow and damage your system and reduce efficiency.
Doing what you have done (using better but not really expensive) filters is a good idea. You will better protect the furnace and you may reduce a little dust in your home.
If you have serious allergy problems you may, or may not, benefit from one of the more serious electronic filters.
Try this. Put a really good filter in there and run it for one month. At the same time put a new filter in your vacuum cleaner. At the end of the month take a look at the two. Now you know that the vacuum cleaner is really the one that is taking care of the dust in your living area and the furnace filter is protecting the furnace.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit