Furnace fan question

We have a heat pump (new) that has the typical thermostat with - heat off cool , plus a switch for the fan - auto and on. Well... I turned the fan on just for the hell of it and when I put it back on auto it wouldn't shut off.. Turning the heat or air on didn't help either. When I turned the breaker off and then back on it was OK. Any idea on what could be going on?

D. Haas

Reply to
Dave

A relay stuck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yea...if its a Goodman, the fan relay is toast, as is most of them. Janitrol, same thing.

If its any other brand, it could very well be a bad relay, or the stat contacts are toast..particularly if its a Hunter or other cheapie stat.

Reply to
CBHvac

The thing must turn off when the current is off . You would think if it were stuck it would stay stuck.

So should I relace it if it works perfectly as long as you don't turn the fan on?

D. Haas

Reply to
Dave

There may be more than one relay involved. Without a schematic I would not have much of an idea where to tell you to go.

BTW my standard test method for stuck relays is a couple of knocks with the handle of a screwdriver.

CBHvac may have some more specific ideas. He works with this stuff. I can only offer advice based on personal experience and a little knowledge of how the thing works.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan