Furnace efficiency

I have an older rental property with a forced hot air heating system. The furnace works well, but is probably about 50 years old. I was on the roof putting a rain shield over the chimney, and was appalled by the amount of heat (money) that went up the chimney. I could probably heat the building with the heat that was escaping. Are new forced hot air furnaces much better? Sure seems like a major design flaw to let so much heat into the atmosphere. Henry

Reply to
Henry H. Hansteen

Absolutely, newer furnaces are 90%+ and can use PVC as a flue pipe since the flue gas is so much cooler. You would most likely be pleasantly surprised at the savings especially considering fuel prices today.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

"Henry H. Hansteen" wrote in news:408E9632.A2AFE333 @cornell.edu:

You are not the first to realize this. A lot has happened in 50 years, not just with furnace technology but in other eanergy-related areas as well. (For example, how's the insulation in this building? Windows?)

Reply to
Chuckles

This is Turtle.

The word that hit the thought here is Rental Property and not your Home. It is a rental property and if you do put a furnace in that will burn 1/2 the fuel as the older one. Your not going to get any bennefit from it. The renter will get the savings and you get nothing but added cost of installing the new furnace.

Now if your paying the fuel bill on your rental property , well Go for it.

Alot of 50 year old furnces are running at 50% AFUE at best and if you went to a say

92+% AFUE model. You would maybe cut your fuel bill nearly 1/2 of what you burn now. The lowest %AFUE they sell now days is a 80% AFUE . This is really something to look at if your paying the fuel bill.

The 92+AFUE furnaces are vented with PVC pipe and the heat lost will not get hot enough to get a cup of coffee hot enough to drink. Now i live in the Very Southern states where we don't use much heat and I don't have the 92+AFUE model for we just don't use heat much at all. I have turned on my heat about 8 days this last winter. Now in the Northern states where you use the heat all the time. YES, Get the 92+AFUE models for it will be cost effective.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

rental property and if you do put a furnace in that

it. The renter will get the savings and you get

I would nominate you for the Nobel Prize in economics, but you missed the point that the property would be worth more to the tenant so that the landlord could raise the rent.

Reply to
Matt

rental property and if you do put a furnace in that

it. The renter will get the savings and you get

This is Turtle.

I too have some rental property and tring to get more rate per month because of a more effencient HVAC system is a hard sell. You may be able to get a little for it but the other Rental property owner will just be a little lower rent price than you and they will have the Dollar edge over you. I happen to have one rental property that i rented out and happen to suggest to him that if he wanted a 16 seer / Heat Pump hvac system installed in the place of the 8 seer / straight electric heat system. It would only cost him $30.00 a month increase on his rent. He told me No just let it ride like it is and if he wanted it. he would get back with me. Now this could be a little different being in the nothern states where heat is more costly and may make some difference but in the Southern states it is not a big deal at all.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE