Furnace/Dryer/Hot Water Tank Space Requirements

Currently, my hot water heater is located literally in the middle of my basement which obviously is very inconvenient. I am considering moving it to a location that is currently between by gas furnace and gas dryer. There will be ~2-3 feet between each.

e.g.

Furnace Hot Water Dryer

Assuming all code is applied when moving it (e.g dielctric couplers, gas drip pipe, vent slope/size, etc.), does the location of the hot water heater to the other gas devices cause an issue? My assumption is no because I see many apartment with everything crammed into a untility closet. My basement is considerbly larger than a utility closet.

Thanks for any insight you may have !

Reply to
Bach

I don't see an issue with that.

Reply to
Mikepier

I can't see a problem with that.. In our former house, thats how it was:

HW/Furnace side by side..in a smaller closet off the laundry room... External wall..Hi & low vents to outside air and the dryer was just outside the closet in the laundry area.

Reply to
Rudy

I'd guess that venting concerns would be the premier consideration..can you tie in the exhaust stack to that of the furnace ?

Reply to
Rudy

As long as you have room to service the furnace it is OK. Dryer is usually serviced from the front but a furnace may need a side access. Check the installation instructions if you still have them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As luck would have it, the chimney is kitty corner between the tank and the furnace reducing the length of vent required. As it stands now, the tank is in the middle of the basement and the vent literally run 15 feet to the chimney requiring us to duck as we walk under or risk getting a burned forehead. So not only does the provider an improvement in space use, but I personally believe remove a personal safety hazard.

Thanks to all that responded !!

Reply to
Bach

Good point. The chimney is actually kitty-corner between the tank and furnace so there is ample room to service. But definitely a great point that could have been overlooked.

Thank you to all the responded.

Reply to
Bach