Furnace Costs?

The furnace in my house is 16 years old. It is an oil-fired Sears 75000 btu forced hot air downflow furnace with a Becket burner. It was Sears¹ top of the line unit when purchased in 1992. Note that this is a small house (approx 1000 sq feet), so 75000 btu is more than adequate.

I recently had the unit repaired, several internal parts had to be replaced. The repair person said I would need a new burner soon, perhaps in a couple of years. He said perhaps I should get a whole new furnace at that time, and that it would cost approximately $4000 installed. I am rather leery as to whether this is really needed, especially considering that the furnace has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger (I know, it¹s next to impossible to collect!).

He did not say what it should cost to replace the burner but not the furnace. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on that (including installation), as well as whether I really would need to replace the entire unit?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Larry Weil

I had a new furnace install a couple of months ago - a Thermo Pride - for a house about 3X as large and cost was ~$5,000 which included variable speed fan. I suspect price quoted you is in the ball park.

Firebox was leaking and cost would have been prorated on a low end Lennox. I was glad to get rid of it because all repairmen had told me it was a low end unit. Don't know aobut Sears but I don't think of quality when I think of them.

Lennox only lasted 16 years and had replaced previous one - forget brand - that also lasted only 16 years. When that one went, it was a nightmare as whole house got smoked up and had to be cleaned.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Get at least three companies to come out and give you a QUOTE (not an estimate). You could probably get by with a 57,000 BTU furnace but can't judge that over the internet.

Who installs it is more important than the brand, but DO get one that has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger. Acouple examples are Thermopride and Armstrong......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

If it is a 92%+ efficent condensing unit you have no reason to even consider replacement. But repairman all want to sell you a unit to make money when their work is slow.

Reply to
ransley

If it is a 92%+ efficent condensing unit you have no reason to even consider replacement. But repairman all want to sell you a unit to make money when their work is slow.

I doubt very seriously that it is a condensing-type furnace. I'm guessing they are lucky if they are getting even 82% efficiency out of it. I agree that there are some companies out there that will try to get you to buy a new furnace when you really don't need one...

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Where do you get 92% out of OP's post? He said it was installed in 1992.

16 years is awful short life for a furnace, IMHO. I have known several that made 35-45 years, including the 1960 furnace in this house, that I just replaced a year ago. Still worked fine, but burned a lot of gas. Crunched the numbers, and the payback period was around when I plan on selling, so I did it mainly to avoid scaring potential buyers with a by-then 50 year old furnace.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I was going to ask the same thing. I was NOT the one that said anything about 92%. It was the poster I was replying to. That's why I stated that I doubt that the OP has a condensing type furnace.

O.K. Now I will nit-pick. Look at the OP and you will see he said it was an oil furnace and not gas. But you are correct on a couple points:

16 years IS a short lifespan for a furnace. But when it comes to oil, hot air furnaces aren't much more efficient then they wer 30 years ago. There are a couple companies that make condensing oil furnaces, but they are pricey and then you are still only talking about MAYBE 87% efficiency.
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab