Furnace Cleaning/ Duct Cleaning

Page 2 of 2
Hello Friend ( snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net) said...

You might be doing yourself a disservice.
In the 1990's, the CMHC in Canada and the EPA in the USA conducted research and found there was little, if any improvement in air quality resulting from duct cleaning. The basic reason is that ducts are just passages for air -- there is no source of dust in ducts, while there is in the rest of your house.
You can download a paper on this at https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca:50104/b2c/b2c/init.do?language=en&shop=Z01EN&areaI D00000016&productID000000160000000017
Another document is available at http://www.cmhc.ca/publications/en/rh-pr/tech/95-205.pdf
In a quick glance at these documents, I couldn't find reference to this, but I have heard that one study the CMHC did found that the cleaning process can kick up a dust problem as build-up in ducts tends to remain in the ducts. When it is disturbed, it becomes airborn again -- sort of like what can happen with some asbestos situations: nothing harmful until it is disturbed.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
During the winter, dryness is more of a problem. I'd suggest to try to find a HVAC guy to install an Aprilaire (or equivilant) humidifier. The humidifiers I'm used to installing go on the return air duct. they have a round tube from the return to the supply air. And they hve a drain under the humidifier.

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank
My house is a 50 year old home, I decided to get the ducts cleaned (about 450.00) by a recommended company. Turns out the intake ducts (my house has 4) and are really the ones that get dirty. They suck in all the air and some gets caught on the walls of the ducts themselves. Over the years it builds up. The filter I have works great and the exhaust ducts are pretty clean. Is you have a desire, you can do it yourself but its a messy job.
Did I notice any more or less colds in the house? Na, only thing I noticed that after the first heat of the season, it didnt smell initially this year. Just fired it up and all was well.
Tom
Sennin wrote:

also
Thanks for all the imput.
Actually I wasn't asking for medical opinions. LOL.
The main point of the question was-- should the ducts be cleaned or is it something that is unneccesary because the filter works fine.
The house is about 15 years old, but I have noticed some dust around the vents. However, I changed the filter and it is an industrial strength $40 one-- the size of an accordian. I guess it is always useful to tune up the furnace and AC. At this point, it sounds like I should pass on the vents for a while.
This also depends if you have animals, dust, pollen, smoke etc. The intake vents anything and EVERYTHING in.
If you want to take a look and see how dirty they are, take one of them off and get your hand in there. Wipe the walls. You can then judge from that if you want to go for it.
Some of the dust around the vents may not be coming from the system. It may be from the venturi effect.
When was you system serviced last?

venturi effect? What is that?
I don't know last service. I moved in 2 years ago. I had a home inspection done and it seemed ok.

I paid $150.00 for furnace inspection when I bought this house, using the heating company I'd been with for 20 years. It's got a Goodman furnace, which some people expressed some doubts about in this forum. The guy found some installation mistakes, and repaired a couple of duct junctions which were whistling. I think it was worth it.

venturi effect = bullshit from someone that hasnt a clue Inspection done = someone looked at it to make sure it was hopefully in good working order. Note: Inspectors/Inspections look at things. They dont clean them. Your furnace needs at least annual cleaning. Bubba

Despite what Bubba thinks, there is a Venturi effect. While I'd suggest a google search, I'll try.
The naturally dusty air in your house will be moving around by air currents. These currents will take the dusty air and blow it harder near the vents. This may cause the dust to become attached to the registers and the nearby walls.
An annual servicing and cleaning, if necessary, is a good idea.
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:39:59 -0500, "HeatMan"

HeatMan, Read what you are typing. You are explain the snake oil bullshit. While there is a word Venturi, and it is an actual and real effect, the way you are explaining it and applying it to a heating system is boloney. Surely you can come up with a better explaination than that. Bubba :-)

I hate to jump into such a good argument, but the Venturi effect ( a better term is aspiration") is real around registers and ducts. It is covered in RSES heating courses and ASHRAE. Some call it "aspiration" "" a drawing of something in, out, up, or through by or as if by suction:""
I have seen systems that use hepa filters and the ducts are spotless but around the discharge register on the ceiling there are patterns of dust with discoloration. What happens is the register blows and mix's with the air by actually 'aspirating' the room air with supply air.
Rich
Thanks, Geo.

vents.
nearby
with
by
Okay, so I wasn't using the correct term.

Thanks is correct. Geo got it right. You didnt, HeatMan. You might want to look up the definitions for venturi and aspiration. Venturi is a tube with a taper. Aspiration will happen in a conventional system although very very little. A high velocity system like space-pak or Unico relies soley on aspiration. Thats why they almost dont care where the return grille gets put and it doesnt need a return in each room to work. Try that with a conventional system. It wont work well at all. Bubba
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:57:02 -0500, "HeatMan"

'Actually I wasn't asking for medical opinions. LOL. The main point of the question was-- should the ducts be cleaned or is it something that is unneccesary because the filter works fine.'
ME: You should get the ducts cleaned IF you have a medical reason .... such as allergys to mold, spore, animal dander, dustmites, etc... If you dont, then i wouldnt waste the money. However....you may have a couple pieces of drywall chunks in the ductwork leftover from construction which could be affecting airflow., at least somewhat.
Right, skip the duct cleaning for now. Go wtih the humidifier.
--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank
The filter only covers the air that is being blown OUT of the vents, that is usually clean in the first place. The air that is being sucked in is the problem. The intake registers do NOT have filters on them.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

is