Furnace cleaning

I bought a house that is 4 years old and I had a heating company come out to make sure everything was OK and he discovered built up material on the fan blades. I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't use a filter for a period of time for this much build up to be there? I'm also concerned that if the fan is fouled up isn't the A coil going to be in the same shape?

What would it cost to have this furnace taken apart and cleaned? Or is it something I could do myself?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Call a pro, it is your first time with the unit he wll have the chemicals and may find other issues you will miss, cost ? im no pro. You may want a better filter like Air bear

Reply to
m Ransley

Quite possibly.

Depends if you really want a good job and not someone looking to replace parts. Parts replacers will do it for $30.00 or less, but they _will_ find something else wrong. It really depends on the actual filthiness of the unit.

We don't know you, so we can't answer that question. Some people can, some can't.

Reply to
HeatMan

This is Turtle.

Well if you have a cooling coil with the furnace and what you say is true. You say the blower wheel is very dirty, well if the blower wheel is very dirty. The evaperator coil is in the same condition. So You need to have the blower assembley pull and cleared out or if real bad washed out with a water hose. Remove motor and clean motor seperate. Re assembly and install it back.

Then remove freon from system or pump it down and remove evaperator coil and acid clean it out in the back yard. Wash it till it is real clean with pink acid but can use other non-acid type cleaners. Then re install the evaperator coil and weld copper line back in and put a suction line drier in suction line for any trash or moisture you miss when you pull a 300 Micron vaccum on it. This is all there is to it and just have it done.

You do not have to clean the outside of the furnace fire chamber area for this dirty for very little will ever be cought by the fire chamber area. Now since you have then there have them look at the fire chamber burner ports to see if there is any trash in them and if so vaccum them out. No big deal but just do it.

I do about 30 to 75 a year for people who don't keep up with filters.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Go for it.