Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 7 of 7

Bubba wrote:

I'm guessing you'd be jealous even if it _were_ only a double wide (which I doubt, judging by what he's said).

So you believe everything you see typed? Hey, by the way. I have a beautiful bridge in California I can sell you real cheap. Really! Im not kidding. Believe me! Bubba
Bubba wrote:

No, but one can often evaluate credibility without seeing the witness. Perhaps it's not infallible, but it's not awful, either.

Thanks CJT. Believe me, I have no need or desire to describe my house -- it would only make him more jealous. LMAO at someone who even would think of a double wide as "moving up".
blueman posted for all of us...

What kind of income and education do you get in the group home?

Nothing means nothing. I went up into the attic yesterday to reroute some LAN cables from my router to computers in various rooms in my house.
In the process, I handed down to my wife about 25 feet of ducting that was left from the previous remodel. Dead and discarded ducting that the workers were simply too lazy to hand down to ground hands for disposal. I used four rolls of metal sided tape to seal air leaks in the ductwork that the previous "professionals" were incapable of wrapping around pipes. Yeah, putting tape on gaps is tough, even for trained professionals. I opened up and rounded out several areas where they had crushed ductwork by crawling over it, and not putting it back to at least some form of round.
All this done by hvac "professionals" who were paid top dollar.
This happened before my appearance on the scene, or I would have not paid them until they had done the job and done it correctly. We get into all this discussion, but when a sixth grader can look at a pipe and see it has a big hole in it, there is some indication that there is something obviously wrong with this picture.
Steve
We just serviced a system yesterday and found the air free CO over 800ppm. Went on a no heat call a week ago. Tripped flame roll out. Air free CO over 2000ppm - couldn't get the meter out quick enough.
99 times out of 100 changing a gas valve is no big deal. You just have to decide on the chance you want to take. What is scary is there are a LOT of companies that don't check CO in any case.

Fall seven times, stand up eight
--Japanese proverb

We have two digital CO monitors in our house. So, although we don't have the portable ones, we would know real quick if we had a problem.
The way the smart valve is put on the pipe nipple, and held to the burner with only four sheet metal screws, it would be impossible to change any of the configuration there. Turn gas valve ninety degrees, unplug, unscrew, put on gas tape, screw new valve back on nipple, put four screws back, turn gas back on, and you're done.
But I guess I could spend $400 for some needy hvac guy to come out here and do an hours worth of work, and that would include a couple of cigarette breaks.
Makes about as much sense as paying $700 to get your hot water heater changed. I changed my own for a little over $250, and that was with a new pan and blanket.
Steve
wrote

Smart enough to change a smart valve. It ain't rocket surgery. Even a hvac man could do it.
Steve
blueman wrote in message ...

That is great news. I'm happy for you for a couple of reasons. Number one, that you don't have to spend a lot of money, and you know the other one. LOL
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> writes:

Thanks Cheri - I appreciate your support -- you are a rare gentleman/gentlewoman(?) among the other baboons here...
I just hope that they are not exemplars of the rest of the profession -- I assume that the good and helpful ones are gainfully employed and know not to waste their time here among the HVAC "pro" misfits and wannabees.
writes:

Glad to hear it!
blueman posted for all of us...

Well Jeffy, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC professionals here claimed they had never heard of.
Pinko Flaggo wrote:

I think I remember those exchanges.
Good for you for fixing without the need for "professional" help.
| | > All works PERFECTLY now -- ran the furnace for about 2 hours straight | > and didn't get a hiccup. | | Congratulations. I, too, fixed my problem myself by replacing my stack | over temp switch, which several of the highly experienced HVAC | professionals here claimed they had never heard of. |
What was wrong with it? and why did it fail?

No you didnt. You fixed a sympton. I WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Limit problems need to be diagnosed properly as they can have very expensive and very deadly consequences. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

That would make you ...
... an ass biter!
Limit problems need to be diagnosed properly as they can have