Furnace blows but does not heat (intermittent problem)

Page 3 of 7

What a waste of response. If you don't want to help, then don't respond to posts. If you hate engaging with customers, then you shouldn't be in the SERVICE business.
The good service techs I know really appreciate it when a knowledgeable homeowner has done his/her homework. At a minimum it saves some diagnosis time. It also very often saves a return trip back for parts.
Engage your brain for a second and just think -- if I can diagnose the problem or at least narrow it down in advance, then the service tech may be able to actually bring the right replacement part on the first visit. This save me and the tech time and money.
Also, at least in the world I live in, there are many service people who are only too happy to swap out parts until they get it right rather than spending time on diagnostics -- whether this comes from lack of knowledge, laziness, or greed, I will leave up to you.

If you actually READ my post rather than just frothing, you would see that I SPECIFICALLY asked whether this was likely to be a DIY fix and did not claim that I would go off fixing things beyond my level of expertise.
Is business so bad for you (or is your reputation so poor) that you need to beat down customers in order to drum up some business? Again, the good service people that I know are happy to help customers help themselves because they know that at the end of the day, the best customer is an informed and satisfied one -- those are the ones that keep coming back, particularly when they need to spend big bucks on a new install...

expressed in your post.

Keep working on it.
Nice and warm here.

Warm here too -- the heater is only for a guest room and we have no guests this week...

I can see why you don't have any guests. They probably know that you do your own furnace work and they don't want to die from carbon monoxide poisoning or from a fireball explosion...

Another "brilliant" ad-hominem comment from another underemployed, disgruntled tech... If you have nothing constructive to say, then stop wasting bandwidth... Get yourself a life! <ploink!>

Blueballs is actually just another disgruntled reject that was charged over $100 on a weekend to change his own dirty filter because he was too lazy and stupid to do it himself. Probably due to the fact that he is too fat to step away from the keyboard judging from the amount of blithering posts he has made. Nice and warm here buddy. Have a nice time replacing parts. Bubba

Are you actually recommending that a homeowner replace their own filter? My God, man, it's a FURNACE! IT COULD BLOW UP! It's got VOLTAGE! You could get ELECTROCUTED!
Oscar_Lives posted for all of us...

has any "guests" they would probably welcome immolation. Think "Bates Motel"

I've been having the same problem with my heater for the past couple of months. First tech that came asked me what it's doing. Of course while he was here it worked perfectly, so he said he couldn't fix it until he knew what the problem was. Paid him for the service call, but when it happened again yesterday, I called a different company. Both companies have been in business in my town for a very long time. Second tech came and asked what it was doing. Same exact thing, it worked while he was here, though it hadn't worked for the previous 24 hours. He told me the same thing as the first tech, but I said no...I want it fixed. I don't want to keep calling you guys out, pay the service charge, and it's still a crap shoot as to whether the heater will work. He said he would order a retrofit kit for $397.00, and charge me the $80.00 service charge that it would have been yesterday at the time he does that service. OK, fine, but why didn't either one of them suggest that in the first place? Do they really think that I want to keep paying a service charges with no resolution? So techs do ask homeowners questions before they start, and sometimes they don't make the right suggestions either.
Cheri
On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:13:59 -0800, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:

Hold it right there Cheri. Why, Why Why would you call another company when you already paid the first company? Call the first company back, tell them it is doing the same thing, you already paid a service call fee yesterday and you would like this problem resolved. Any Professional company is going to work with you on this. You gave the first company no chance at all to fix what it wasnt doing when you first called. Maybe you just like pissing money away?

Fine?? So you do like pissing money away.

At this point since there seems to be no point in continuing since you just like to dump money in a pit Ive got to ask......... How big are your tits? Bubba

Maybe the highly experienced HVAC professional didn't tell Cheri that he'd come out for free if the furnace failed again.

No, he didn't, but part of it is my fault for not checking myself to see if they would.They did bill me, and not ask for money at the time of service. I sent them a check, and decided that when it happened again, I would use someone else since I didn't think they knew what they were doing. The company I am using now does have a six months guarantee, but I'm not sure they know either. I just know that I don't know, and am assuming that the retrofit will take care of the problem for now. I would sooner pay for that than have them keep coming back, waiting around here for hours for them to actually get here, paying a service charge, and then..."I can't find anything wrong with it." I hate having to spend the money, but such is life. I'm old now, and hopefully the retrofit lasts as long as I do. :-)
Cheri
Bubba posted for all of us...

most.

I once had similar symptoms (I have since moved).
I had a condensate pump, and it filled with "gunk" over time. I had a contractor confirm this was the problem. He removed the pump, took it outside, took a hose to it, reinstalled, and the problem resolved. Don't actually know what the failure mechanism was, but this resolved it. It happened again a year later, but I just cleaned the condensate pump again. When I moved, I left a note for the buyers, and included a description for them to rinse out the condensate pump about twice a year.
Don't know if this is the same problem as yours, but thought I'd share my story.

I once had similar symptoms (I have since moved).
I had a condensate pump, and it filled with "gunk" over time. I had a contractor confirm this was the problem. He removed the pump, took it outside, took a hose to it, reinstalled, and the problem resolved. Don't actually know what the failure mechanism was, but this resolved it. It happened again a year later, but I just cleaned the condensate pump again. When I moved, I left a note for the buyers, and included a description for them to rinse out the condensate pump about twice a year.
Don't know if this is the same problem as yours, but thought I'd share my story.

Interesting, do you mean to say that a dirty condensate pump caused the burner to shut down prematurely and then prevented it form re-lighting properly? Because if so, I am sure that is the problem because as mentioned in my subsequent post, I actually just installed a condesate pump. Not sure how a downstream pump affects upstream flame but I'm sure that must be it if you say you had the exact same problem caused by a condensate pump...

I don't know how the dirty condensate caused the problem either. Once all the side panels were removed from the furnace, one could see tubes for water condensate. Perhaps a clog caused a backup, but I don't know how that would cause the symptoms my furnace had.
Still it sounds similar. I just remembered that mine got worse when it would run for a long while. I had a digital programmable thermostat, and we had the temperature set lower overnight. When it came time to warm up the temperature by the time we awoke, after running for a long enough period, I would hear a rapid clicking noise coming from the furnace, then I saw the flame go out. I would hear the motor continue to run for a little while longer before it would shut off. Then after five minutes the system would start up again. This was before the temperature reached its new higher set point where the system should not have yet shut down.
Once we cleaned the condensate pump, the problem seemed to clear. In addition to summer condensation from the A/C, I diverted central humidifier wastewater into the condensate pump in the winter, so the pump was used all year round.
Don't know if this will help, especially since you indicated your pump is new.

According to the right manual for my model, the two possibilities are: 1. Low gas pressure 2. Faulty gas valve
Does that make sense and sound right relative to the symptoms I have described?

blueman wrote:

I suppose anything is possible, but given that the burner starts, neither seems terribly likely (to me).

blueman3333 posted for all of us...

is a lazy, stupid, fundy idiot whom needs his psych meds refilled.