furnace blowing all the heat up the chimney

Page 1 of 3

I'm tired of people telling me that there's nothing wrong with my furnace. There is something wrong with my furnace.
It's a 10-year-old Amana 45,000 BTU, 80% efficient unit in a 1300 square foot ranch style house. This is my 4th winter in this house, and I'm sick of being limited to one habitable room all winter.
The air coming out of the vents is cool, around 70 degreees according to my thermometer. The exhaust to the chimney is smokin' hot. The plenum does not get perceptibly warm.
I change the filter regularly. The old filter comes out visibly just as clean as the new filter I put in. There is plenty of airflow through the unit, as I can feel the cold draft hit my feet from across the room when the furnace kicks in.
The flames are steady and clean blue.
I have to close off all the bedrooms and heat only the living room and kitchen during the coldest months, otherwise the furnace would run 24/7 and the temperature would never get above 62.
The pros say there's nothing wrong.
Add pictures here
✖

Something's wrong, but you did'nt say where you are loacted. In my area, you may need a furnace of 65,000-77,000 input to do the job for that house. And it sounds like your blower may be going way too fast. All are really guesses though, given the information it really takes to make a proper size analysis. You need tro try another pro; especially one who will look at the whole building, as well as the heating plant.
HTH, Lefty
Add pictures here
✖

My first thought is that the unit is a bit on the small size for that house but I don't know the construction. That said, if it has been there for 10 years it must have done the job at some point. You should be getting more than 70 degree air While the stack will be hot, it may be much more than needed. Sounds like there could be a problem with the heat exchanger if heated air is getting by. I think what you really need as a more competent service tech. They should be taking the temperature of both the stack and the plenum.
Add pictures here
✖
On Nov 4, 2:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

You do have AC right, have you actualy looked at the AC coil, my neighbor got a house where the AC coil passed no air it was so clogged, but you still need a Pro, not the hacks youve had out for beer money.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm located in Rochester NY for the record, and I do have central air.
There are two ratings on the furnace, one is 45,000BTU and the other is 61,500BTU, but the furnace was made in Quebec and everything written on it is in FRENCH! Online translators were no help in figuring out what the tag says...
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote: ...

One would presume those are either input/output ratings or gas/LP, perhaps as a secondary possibility.
Undoubtedly there's somebody on group that could decipher the amount of French on an equipment tag...
Failing that, undoubtedly there would be translation in Amana documentation on their site???
Add pictures here
✖
Probably BTU input and output. It's common for furnace to list input which is total heat produced, and output to the house. Since there is air flow, that's got me wondering. Have to come out and see it, to get some ideas.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Isn't that what "One would presume those are .. input/output ratings" says??? :(
I gave an alternate outside chance possibility but clearly stated it as such...
✖
I reply to messages as I scroll through. I do not read all the replies before commenting.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

you should damn well at least read the message to which you _do_ reply.

✖

The two BTU ratings are input and output. With a 61,500 input, your furnace in not designed to deliver 80% efficiency. You have less than 75% with a 45,000 output. Whatever the rating, you need someone competent to service the furnace.
Add pictures here
✖
I knew it! Already people are slamming me!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:22:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Then you have to find a person who knows French. Shouldn't be hard. If he knows a little bit about furnaces, that would be good too, but probably not essential. Take what he tells you and post it here.
Add pictures here
✖
In article
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com says...

Boy, it sure doesn't seem right. I have a 10 year old, 80% efficient 60,000 btu Armstrong furnace for my 1500 sf house in northern Ohio. It puts out 115 degree air at the register closest to the furnace. The double walled flue is hot, but I can place my hand on it. The plenum is, of course, quite hot. I insulated it with high temperature fiberglass.
The house is well insulated with ducted returns and easily heats all rooms over 70 degrees in 15 below zero weather, and only runs about half the time under those conditions.
For starters, is the rerun air ducted, or is it an open return system?
--
Dennis

Add pictures here
✖
DT wrote: ...

More to the point might be are the hot air runs insulated and/or in unheated spaces (like attic/crawlspace) or is there a break somewhere (like a flexible boot at the plenum outlet?) or a closed internal damper or, or, or, ...???
✖
Would be interesting if the duct is broken some where, and the suction from the return air is moving all the air. But, he said the plenum doesn't warm up.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The return air is ducted.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 12:20:37 -0800, mkirsch1 wrote:

Can you get a thermometer into the plenum at all and check there (or at least whatever register's closest to the plenum)? Our system loses an insane amount of heat in the ductwork and there's about 40 degrees difference between the register nearest the furnace and the one furthest away (I did post actual numbers the other week, but can't remember what thread that was in, and I don't have them written down)
Never tested the exhaust temp on ours. Maybe they always run hot at that point.
Just wondering if your problem's the furnace or the ductwork...
Add pictures here
✖

I used an infrared thermometer on the vent near the middle of a heating cycle when the air coming out felt the warmest. The temperature was in the low 70's.
Ductwork is all uninsulated in a full basement.
Add pictures here
✖