Funny snow blower problem...

Page 1 of 3

Awl --
Always the carburetion, it seems.
Last snow, a month or so ago, ran fine, a Sears "6.0 hp" ditty. Today, it would run for only 10 sec, and would have to constantly be re-primed and started. Choke is OK, full gas. Once in a blue moon it would run for a minute, but not under load.
I could actually sort of see the primed gas spill out of the carb, which would apparently fuel the engine for a while. Seems that the running engine couldn't draw it's own gas.
Idears?
Any links for how-to's on small gas engine repair? I won't be rebuilding innards, but I would at least like to know when/how to fix "the fixable", and when to just give up.
I gave away a fairly expensive Ariens, with carb problems... the local tool rental place, that fixes small engines all the time, couldn't get that thing to run right....
Yet, I saw a guy today, with an Ariens that was so smooth I thought it was electric, from a distance.
--
EA

Most likely the main jet pickup is clogged. There a couple of ways the gas gets from the float bowl to the venturi, either the jet is in the bowl at the bottom of a tube (usually cast), or the cast tube has pin holes below the fluid level and that channels it to the jet. You should be able to remove the bowl (after turning off the fuel tank tap) and clean the passages with a small wire, the wire inside a bag tie works well.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:09:32 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Main jet clogged.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:25:08 -0500, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Do you run all small equipment dry of gas when you put it away, you have to run them till the float bowl is empty, thats several runs after you think its out of gas, last fall I put away a 1984 lawnboy as weel as alot of other gas toys , never cleaned the carb, the only time my carbs get messed up is when I leave gas in them. At Ace I saw my store sold a gallon of carb boil just a strong solvent with a dipping basket. Basicly remove the carb , dissasemble, and soak out the varnished gas, get new gaskets if you need. Stabil helps and should be used, but running the bowl empty is a guarntee for next year

Having just gone through the problem on mine, I could offer advice. But since EA likes to hurl insults at me and half a dozen others here, why should I?
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:37:51 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Amen
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Hey SaltyAss, what were we fighting about, inyway? Was it the climb/conventional cutting you couldn't grok? Hmmm...... I know that was Ricodjour..... oh yeah, and ShittyTwo.....
Hmmm...... What was it???
Oh yeah, *you* had that big problem believing that 3 Sears hp = 1 Porter Cable hp.... you wanted cites'n'shit, right?
And then you couldn't unnerstand my repeat of my old locked rotor current speriment, this time on a "6.0 hp" Rigid/Sears blowVac..... which ackshooly generates a good bit less than 1 hp...... I guess you wanted *more* cites'n'shit.....
BUT, you do recall -- assuming that I wadn't lying -- that the LRC current DID sort of calc out to 5-6 hp, right?
You still mad?? Didja wind up learning anything????
--
EA

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:56:33 -0500, "Existential Angst"

Used my Ariens Snowblower just this morning. Started with one easy pull and ran flawlessly.
But, then, it always starts on the first pull and runs flawlessly. Even the first use of the season.
I get pretty much the same results with all my small engines. Weed Wackers, Lawnmowers, Boat outboards, etc.

Having just gone through the problem on mine, I could offer advice. But since EA likes to hurl insults at me and half a dozen others here, why should I? ================================================== Well, ackshooly, it was 3 others, who justly earned those insults..... And, well, you were a full participant in our li'l tiff, and all because of Biot-Savarte's law, if you recall....
BUT, I humbly apologize, I sincerely regret my actions.....
So, uh, what did you do to fix yer snow blower??
--
EA

I'll bet all of the half dozen of us on here who you claim are stupid could fix the problem you describe with your snow blower. After all, it's just a simple small gas engine. Just got done pitching 14" deep snow with mine this morning and it's running great after having the same problem you described last snow. If you're so smart, why can't you fix what is a common problem with these engines?

Well, here you go again, with your rapidly accumulating errors.
First, the number was 3, and you eventually made it 4, but iirc, you started these particular hostilities...
Second, I never said (or meant) that any of you were stupid -- ShittyTwo may not be the brightest bulb, but the rest of the Quartet seems to be on the sharp side, with useful contributions. You have shown yourself to be astute in a number of areas -- just not with the Biot-Savarte law and clamp-ons.... While Salty seems to have mental block regarding LRC and hp.... hey, it happens to all of us. With me, it's gas engines.
The real problem seems to be more one of character....

First, you'd proly lose yer bet. Regardless, just cuz an engine appears simple (there you go again, with that "simple" shit) doesn't mean it's necessarily easy to fix. My Ariens gave pro's a hard time.
And, I had a 2-stroke dirt auger that NO ONE could fix, cuz, as ""simple"" as that was, the mfr left out a set of reed valves.....
So much for "simple", eh??
Just got done pitching 14"

I never said I was smart. To me, these ngs are a learning forum, which unfortunately some character-disordered people turn into snippy attitude-laden dick-waving contests.
And I "can't" fix it cuz I've got zero experience with these things.
So, shall we tally up all your errors in one short paragraph?? goodgawd....
So inyway, I did apologize, so, uh, how did you fix yer snow blower? And, if in order for you to answer, you require that I never ever bring up Biot-Savarte again, I promise not to bring it up again....
--
EA

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in

More payback.
What goes around comes around - good and bad.

Chances are he does'nt actually have a problem with his snowblower, if he even has a snowblower. I would'nt bother to feed that troll.............................
-snip-

Good on ya-- I don't think he's ever said anything to me- but I killfiled him long ago for too much noise and nothing constructive.
Jim

Yea I think I did too. Have to check and see if KF expired. Just catch quoted text within other people's posts.
ransley wrote:

That's a bunch of crap. I leave gas in mine and never have trouble. The REAL trouble is most people let crap from on top of the gas can fall into the gas tank and frig it up all time. 99.99 times our of 100 it's the crap you dumped into the tank that is your problem. The rest of the time it's that the gas in your supply can is already 2 years old when you put it in and you let it sit another year in the tank.

His problem does sound like a clogged main jet.
The trouble with small engine carbs depends on how they are set up. A lot of the smaller 2 stroke engines don't have anything a float bowl so as long as the gas in the tank is good they usually work. If there is a float bowl leaving the gas on prevents it from drying out completely. But float bowl carbs do accumulate crud either way if they are left sitting for extended periods because they vent to the atmosphere. Most of my stuff works fine left alone but I have a 4 stroke 8hp generator that likes to have it's gas turned off and run out of the carb. If I don't do that then the main jet gets deposits on it that reduce the flow. If I don't it only runs with the choke on and I have to remove the bowl and clean the main jet.
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:24:16 -0500, Van Chocstraw

When I store my equipment for the season I store it with a FULL tank of fresh gas. On equipment with a fuel shutoff I run the carb dry. My lawn mower has a B&S engine with the carb IN the tank, so it does not get drained. Winter storage is less problematic than summer storage because chemical reactions slow down in the cold, and speed up with heat. My old snowblower had a fuel shutoff (Tecumseh engine) - the current machine does not (briggs engine). After sitting all summer it started on the first pull. Both machines (and all the rest of my equipment) lives inside, under cover, to make sure no water gets into the tanks.
Existential Angst, snipped-for-privacy@UNoptonline.net wrote:

Hope I get the vernacular close enuf fer u to unnerstand.
Before you go taking the corb off and apart, just for grins, empty the berl. Sometimes there's a spring loaded "emptier" on the bottom (inyway, there is on my 11.5 hp). If no spring, you might have to pull a scru out. Drane the berl, give 'er a few pulls and see if she'll run then. Sometimes it's not varnisch clogging the main jet, but flakey particewlates swimming around in the berl.
It's always a good idear to try the simplest befor trying the harder.
--
☯☯
Unlimited webspace - Unlimited bandwidth