Funky fireplace

My fireplace was apparently built incorrectly. I think that the box is way too big for the size of the chimney, but no one is sure. Have tried various remedies, from extending the squirrel cage, to lowering the height of the box in front, but still smoke enters the room. Can I use vented gas logs in this or must I go with ventless?
TIA
WoN ereH wrote:

Who's no one? Professionals? Joe Blow? The dog? How in the world could you expect someone in a newsgroup to know without being able to see it?
--
Liam

If you get smoke now, you will get Co with logs