Fun With Rookies

Love to hear more...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sent a new hire to get the pipe stretcher. After 20 minutes he asked "what does it look like".

Reply to
Thomas

Isn't it near the assortment of spots for the spotwelder?

Reply to
Charlie

Send the young seaman to the docks to bring back 20 yards of waterline.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Let's not forget the need to produce an ID-10-T card...

robin

Reply to
rlz

bucket of steam

pound of dial-tone

paper-stretcher

pint of turn-signal blinker fluid

Reply to
Reed

Our entire crew got in hot water. "Someone" sent a helper to the tool shack for a "bucket of ohms". (Large job, large trip)

The girl issuing tools' boyfriend happened to be a general foreman. He was propped in the window talking to her when the helper asked. He didn't get the joke. And before everything was said and done, we didn't think it was funny any more either.

Reply to
Metspitzer

They sent the new lab assistant to the stores for "half a dozen benzene rings." But he knew more than they had imagined and came back with a bottle of benzene and told them, "Here you are; pick out the ones you want."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Two gallons of plaid paint

In the Air Force: a hundred yards of flight line

Reply to
Doug Miller

Back in the service days we used the send the "cruits" out for boxes of grid squares, there was always the need for some squelch oil and of course the infamous left handed screw drivers!

-Brian

Reply to
Brian V

Metric pipe wrench.

Reply to
Metspitzer

A tube of relative bearing grease.

Reply to
gfretwell

Wanna buy some dehydrated water?

Reply to
Thomas

Boy Scouts:

Left (or Right) Handed Smoke Shifters

A Sky Hook

A cup of propane

The cannon report

The keys to the oar locks

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What's wrong with that? I just bought 1280 cups of propane this afternoon. $.18 per cup.

Reply to
krw

Used to give a metal ruler to the novice and ask that he confirm the distance measurement between the battery terminals.

Or distance between the charged capacitor terminals.

Reply to
Robert Macy

All these are examples of degenerate humor, laughs at someone's expense. Now I appreciate a good practical joke or trick of the new guy, but this kind quickly ends up with degrading and exploitive treatment. The current output of Hollywood, the situational comedy (Sit Com) is the result. I learned (and enjoy) the English style of humor where no-one gets shamed or ridiculed.

John

Reply to
teabird

Our sys admins actually used that for the admin password.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

In nature, laughter is the sound of triumph. There are various ways to triumph ...over others, over yourself.

However the tripe on American TV [sitcoms, Funniest Videos, etc.] shows NO sensitivity to others, and there in lies their weakness. Plus, no subtletly, which is worse.

For example, the original Tracey Ulman show had NO laugh track and was uproariously funny. For the reruns, some idiot added laugh tracks, which rendered the shows unviewable. ..obnoxious actually. Inappropriate laugh track sounds are distracting. Just as distracting as trying to enjoy a comedian and the idiotic director suddenly shows people in the audience laughing. What do I care about those people?

True. Americans can lack humor, look at the sad attempts to remake successful French comedies.

Reply to
Robert Macy

There used to be a DOS command switch for a program. I have forgotten the title.

-noidea

-noclue

Reply to
Metspitzer