Fun with Patel

That case looks even more home made than anything I could come up with !

The first computer I built was (I think) in 1979 for an independent study course when I returned to college. (The company I worked for paid for add'l education.)

At any rate I at least made a metal case for it :)

Reply to
philo

Swapping them out was not an option. They belonged to the customer. Once we went to "element exchange" machine inventories were a nightmare.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ahh...I see. You were a 3rd party.

I worked for the same company as my customers, but for a different division. We charged them for parts and labor, but many of the terminals were owned by IT. As I mentioned earlier, once we moved to PC's and they became capital items owned by the individual departments, "swaps" went away, except for the occasional loaner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had wood working tools, metal working tools, not so much. There was a whole series of woodies

A woodie cash register

Used for testing printers in the shop

An 8086 PS/2 m-30

A 286 PS/2 m30

A PS/2 M70 with the custom 5.25 bay

gfretwell

On Mon, 09 May 2016 12:32:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

You have a lot of patience. I just tell them that I don't own a computer. I use the computer at the public library.

Reply to
CRNG

Their time is more valuable than mine in this case. I was just trying to see if that will get me off the list. Nothing else has seemed to work.

Reply to
gfretwell

They look great!

I used to bread-board things back in the days of 2N107's and Fahnestock clips.

When the CK722's hit the market, I thought it was just a fad !

Reply to
philo

Next time that happens to me, I think I'll ask them how they can be calling me, then mention that I don't have a phone!

Reply to
philo

The first job I turned down after college was a position as a trouble shooter for a company that made some type of device (I forget what it did) that consisted of two 3' x 3' densely packed wire-wrapped back panels.

Some guy would wire-wrap the panels, some other guy would test the units and if they didn't work, it would have been my job to find the problem. Imagine

18 sq ft of this - that didn't work...No Thank You!

DerbyDad03

Yep I am familiar with wire-wrap but have never used it.

For my job, I did a lot of industrial control retro-fits.

Some of them I designed myself and were so hay-wire no one else could repair the equipment but me. My competitors and co-workers left certain jobs for me only! Very good job security.

Reply to
philo

What you never played with BASICA.COM?

I didn't think of it but I could have told him about a lot of "dot coms" ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

IBM was in love with wirewrap for most of my career, certainly into the 80s. If you have good net pin lists and decent diagnostics it is a snap finding bugs.

Reply to
gfretwell