Fun with Patel

Page 2 of 2
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 12:55:52 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I installed literally thousands of 5150's when I worked IT for a former Fortune 500 company. The scientists in the Research Labs got them first, then management, then the 5150's replaced the hundreds of Radio Shack TRS-80's that we had installed for the secretaries a few years earlier.
Every 5150 had to have an IBM-3270 terminal emulator board installed so employees could connect to the mainframe. It was interesting to watch some employees use them as nothing more than glorified terminals while other's took full advantage of the "computing power" at their fingertips.
On Mon, 9 May 2016 10:25:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

There were a few flavors of that card and several software options. IBM internal had a pretty neat one that ran with very low overhead, supported four 3270 sessions and a DOS session, that could also be running W/3.1 You could have a bunch of stuff going on if you were running a 286 with a big memory expansion card in it and the right extended/expanded memory drivers loaded.
This was the one I had on my desk..
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Woodiy%20AT.jpg
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Woodiy%20AT%20inside.jpg

Just to see if I could do it...maybe ten years ago or so I got a Zenith Data Systems 286 with 512 megs of on-board RAM
In my junk box I had an ISA memory expansion board and was able to install 16 megs of RAM. I even had the software so that DOS & Win3.1 could recognized it.
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 3:05:05 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If I recall correctly, there were more than a *few* flavors. It seemed like they changed flavors with each subsequent order of 5150's as well as when they ordered spares. You never knew which emulator was installed until you got on site and looked at the user's machine. Sometimes we had the correct spare in stock, sometimes we were changing cards as well as software.
Regardless, it sure beat swapping out an entire 3270 terminal.
...snipp...
On Mon, 9 May 2016 12:46:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Until the 3180s came out, we fixed 3270 terminals. (cards, power supplies and even the CRT) The 3180 was a FRU. Cut open the box and plug in a new one.
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 4:10:26 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Depending on the situation, we either swapped 'em out and repaired the bad unit in the shop or fixed them on-site. It depended on the symptoms, whose terminal it was, location, etc.
e.g. in a secure area, we'd sometimes swap them on a cart *outside* the area and let the customer hook the good one back up.
When we moved up to PC's things got a little more complicated.
On Mon, 9 May 2016 14:45:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Swapping them out was not an option. They belonged to the customer. Once we went to "element exchange" machine inventories were a nightmare.
On Monday, May 9, 2016 at 7:16:32 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Ahh...I see. You were a 3rd party.
I worked for the same company as my customers, but for a different division. We charged them for parts and labor, but many of the terminals were owned by IT. As I mentioned earlier, once we moved to PC's and they became capital items owned by the individual departments, "swaps" went away, except for the occasional loaner.
On Mon, 09 May 2016 12:32:52 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

You have a lot of patience. I just tell them that I don't own a computer. I use the computer at the public library.

Their time is more valuable than mine in this case. I was just trying to see if that will get me off the list. Nothing else has seemed to work.
On 05/10/2016 07:50 AM, CRNG wrote:

Next time that happens to me, I think I'll ask them how they can be calling me, then mention that I don't have a phone!
On Tue, 10 May 2016 17:48:18 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

What you never played with BASICA.COM?
I didn't think of it but I could have told him about a lot of "dot coms" ;-)