Fully Variable Speed Control Unit for Lasko 2155A Window Fan

Page 2 of 3

For those that don't understand induction motors. An induction motor is both a trasnformer and a motor. It's really a clever idea that recognizes that both motors and transformers are made of two coils. The speed of the rotor is important in an induction motor so speeds are controlled by the design of the motor. That's why multiple speed induction motors have mutliple sets of stator windings. Which winding you energize determines the speed. And also why messing aorund with the voltage, particularly with controls that simply clip the sine wave doesn't work very well. You can vary the speed by changing the frequency. But only to a point because low frequencies don't work so well with a transformer.

The OP here isn't interested in any information from people who know what they are doing -- he/she/it/they are looking for something which does not exist (a cord mounted VFD control) to try and precisely regulate the speed of a $35 dollar consumer grade window fan...
Let the OP figure it out on his own -- clearly doesn't like being informed that his desired device doesn't exist, or that the fan he wants to control won't work with the controller or that the motors which work with VFD controllers are expensive...
The OP is ignoring all of that and is therefore a troll...
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

Film at 11, of the fire department trying to put out the fire and drag his corpse out of the building.

On 6/23/2011 2:01 PM, Evan wrote:

Correction, Evan, the OP (as it happens, that's me) wants information, information which you refused to provide outright. So Evan, fuck off.

I think the point is that you initially did not seem very receptive to the suggestion that there is not a practical solution to your problem given the constraints you placed on the solution. Pont could have been made without calling you a troll though.
On 6/24/2011 12:15 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I think the point is that Evan initially did not give a fuck about the subject and decided then and there that it was useless to even try to give me the information that I asked for. I've had a lot of experience with smart asses who will simply not give proper advice and the only advice they will give is "don't do it". Even is just one more smart ass. Well, fuck him.

Movng on. I presume you've gotten all the information on the subject now. Or do you still have questions? And what's your plan next?
On 6/24/2011 12:32 PM, jamesgangnc wrote:

I got all the info I wanted I think, thanks. My plan is to stick with what I got and look for a bargain VFD or a window fan with the feature I want. Thanks again.

Umm... You want information on something which does not exist for the application and device you want to redneck-engineer...
Rather than accept that INFORMATION and try to find another way (i.e. not in a window mounted, speed controlled [with the control cord mounted] fan) to accomplish your desire to move air quietly you continue to ask pointless questions and balk at the fruits of your own explorations as costing too much...
That sir is the textbook definition of trolling...
~~ Evan
On 6/25/2011 4:47 PM, Evan wrote:

Accusing others of being a troll is a defining characteristic of trollish behavior. Another defining characteristic of trollish behavior is the total uselessness of the contribution to the discussion. It seems therefore that you have some introspecting to do, Evan.

I am virtually certain that a that kind of tool uses a universal motor.
--

Sam

A ceiling paddle fan is an induction motor. Get a paddle fan speed control, install it in a box along with an outlet and a cord. Like one of these: (Amazon.com product link shortened)08854747&sr=1-1-catcorr
"Rich." wrote:

Better buy a fire extinguisher, too.

Already covered. :)

Remove the motor. Replace it with a variable speed electric drill. Rig up a means to connect the fan blade to the drill, and your problem is solved.

@Martin:
You can not turn a consumer appliance with a cheap induction motor into a perfectly adjustable device with the same precision of a VFD motor... First off, the variable frequency controller would cost more than the fan you want to run with it...
The cheapo motor the fan is currently equipped with has several windings in it which are energized in the same way a 3-way light bulb is configured... Low setting is a smaller winding -- Medium speed is a larger winding and Hi speed is all windings on at once...
The bigger question here is why you need to have a totally adjustable window fan unit -- and just how insane you would be trying to obtain something which just doesn't exist... ~~ Evan

Evan, I think you missed ^ this part when you replied.

The OP has indicated that it would take magic to change his mind. Unless you're feeling up on your mojo, I'd give this one a pass.
On 6/21/2011 12:45 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Oh the irony. You do realize that you just told somebody "don't do it" it being him telling me "don't do it", and on newsgroups that deal with subjects that have pretty much zero tolerance for that kind of bullshit, right?
On 6/20/2011 11:14 PM, Evan wrote:

From where I'm standing, you're no help at all, Evan. Which brings me to my next question, can you turn a perfectly useless usenet poster into a productive and useful usenet poster? And just how insane you would be trying to obtain something which just doesn't exist...

YOU ARE NOT going to find a cord control capable of what you want to do... You could build a controller to do what you want but it would need to be in a large metal box like the motor controllers for industrial motors and HVAC equipment get installed in... Remember (Variable Frequency Drive)...
You are asking something along the lines of "how do I install cabinet rated electrical equipment into an extension cord control"...
Get the picture ?
~~ Evan