Fuel comparison charts

Page 2 of 5
On 6/28/13 9:32 PM, . wrote:

Depends on the trade offs.
The U.S. government keeps increasing the fuel mileage standards, for example. Vehicles are being made lighter as a result. How many more people are killed or injured because of that? Suppose we had vehicles sturdily built like the ones from the 50s 60s with modern safety features?

Some of those were terrible in crash tests. They didn't fold right.
Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Greg
On 6/28/13 11:18 PM, gregz wrote:

I do remember seat belts were mandated in car construction maybe in 1964 or so. I wonder what U.S. vehicles would look like if designers and consumers didn't have government regulations to contend with.
I remember the first time I saw a GM "Smart" car. Made me think of bring on the clowns. Second thougth was crash worthiness. I had visions of it colliding with a bread truck, and flying off into space like a table tennis ball. Smart, huh? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I wonder what U.S. vehicles would look like if designers and consumers didn't have government regulations to contend with.
On 6/28/2013 9:38 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

"The Law Of unintended Results" It's what happens when Congress designs anything and imposes by law, impossible or insanely difficult to implement standards. The "Won't Flush Toilets" were one of plumbing fixtures designed by Congress. ^_^
TDD

The vehicles built in the 50s and 60s were deathtraps compared to today's cars. You are much more likely to survive or have fewer injuries in a crash with a modern car compared to one from 50 years ago, all other things being equal.
I don't really care much for the IIHS or the nanny regulations our country has adopted, but you can't argue with performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtxd27jlZ_g

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

On 06/29/2013 09:11 PM, Larry W wrote:

...which I've never needed. If you buy a new car every couple of years you have a point, but I don't. When I get rid of a car it's all used up.

--
Cheers,
Bev

As they should.

Crash worthiness is independent and not a function of vehicle mass.

Yes by all means, let's return to the technology of a half century ago.

You can go, but I'm staying here. I love my XM radio, rearview camera, power everything, heated seats, no exhaust fumes, no tune up every 10,000 miles, tires that last for 50,000 miles, remote starter, and on and on.
It would be fun once in a while to cruise around in one of my old cars from the past, but not for my everyday driver.

He did say with modern safety features. I'd love a "57 Chevy with all the new bells and whistles or a GTO, Impala SS. etc At least Chrysler/Dodge are smart enough to bring the Challenger and Charger back

I think your sarcasm detector is malfunctioning.
On 6/30/13 1:06 PM, . wrote:

Why? What's wrong with people choosing a vehicle that gets ten or forty miles per gallon?
Dean Hoffman > wrote:

To increase the tax revenue from cars that can't meet higher standards. I would prefer taxing people for having children instead, but that's not the issue.

Nothing. No one is forced to buy a brand new car each year in the US.
GW

So, basically you want a tax system based on punishment for things you don/t like.
On 6/30/2013 7:38 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

Theory and principle aside, out here in the real world those are the all and only taxes we suffer. Down here at the bottom of the pile, I'm always someone's enemy and therefore punished accordingly.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Really!? You haven't so much as the first inkling of any clue?

One can obtain any number of vehicles, from classic muscle cars, to any of the below, or a build your own, which would, at best, get 10 mpg in city driving: Lamborghini Murcilago, Bugatti Veyron, Bentley Azure, Bentley Brooklands, Bentley Continental, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, Maybach Type 57 ...
Sounds like a by product of government regulation.
"..... and I'm here to help." . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
A guy at work has one. It has not cost him a penny for the emissions related repairs, but they keep his trucks for days at a time trying to figure out the problems. He finally traded it for a gas model.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:16:03 -0400, Existential Angst wrote:

http://www.chestnuthillchimney.com/Comparison%20of%20Oil,%20Wood,%20Pellet,%20Gas%20and%20Electricity%20Costs.htm

Just to set you straight on the prices, diesel had always been 10 cents cheaper than regular gas. When fuel prices surged up to around the $2.50 mark for the first time, people put up a big fuss over it. The prices dropped back down a little. Then went right back, up and over $3.00 a gallon. But the future markets brokers didn't want to lose their cash cow so they made diesel more expensive. Why? Because truckers get a tax break on the fuel. Unfortunately, that action ultimately practically killed off the nation's MUST have trucking industry to the point where only those that can afford the fuel, are still in business.
The next step, which probably won't happen for another decade or two, is to go to distilled alcohol fuel. Tests have shown that used cooking oil will run just fine in diesel engines with no conversions.

Diesel engines are over 50% of cars in the UK. Some diesel engines will run on used cooking oil but not all. The new technology ones won't.
The latest diesel engine cars over here have ceramic exhaust gas filters as well as catalysers. They rely on a high speed run to burn the carbon out of the filters every now and then. If you don't do this, the filter gets f***d and a new one costs a fortune.
And fuel is getting on for $11/gallon. Our gallons are a bit bigger than yours.