fuel cans

Doing a little cleaning out garage. Took all fuel cans outside. Looked at bottoms of old metal kerosene dans, decided to put some rust converter on. I was filling up various polyethylene cans, with oil and or fuel stabilizers, cleaners. Added cap ffull of alcohol to kerosene.

Putting cans back in garage. Then I noticed full can of kerosene leaking on bottom. Wiped up mess, then started transferring into almost empty kerosene tank. To day I start filling polyethylene blue container with kerosene.

I just got this container about two years ago. O ring fall out, broken, two other parts, and darn if I can get anything out of the spout. My intentions are to buy two water containers for my kerosene. I can't deal with these new no spill cans, i can't even get anything out. I use a pump to get kerosene anyway.

The other thing, I'm going to keep all fuels out of garage.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Ahh , those damn new fuel cans...I spill more with those than I ever did with the old cans....They are a curse on us much like the new light bulbs..Brought to you by the moonbats and environuts...At some point there will be black market aternatives if not already...Gotta look into that...LOL...

Reply to
benick

Look at this from Utube.

I bet the ones that came up with the new cans never have to use them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks for posting that..Gonna do that myself..Passed it on to my many Facebook friends as well...

Reply to
benick

These cans are a perfect example of why you should not let the idiots in government mandate things. I've spilled more gas with blurping from these stupid cans than I ever did from the old cans.

Reply to
Frank

Anybody know if the old style cans can be purchased in Canada?

I'll be heading up north in a few weeks and might just pick up a few (for my own use, of course) if they haven't converted yet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just did this fix to six of my gas containers today. It seems to work pretty good.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

Look to

for ideas.

.

Ahh , those damn new fuel cans...I spill more with those than I ever did with the old cans....They are a curse on us much like the new light bulbs..Brought to you by the moonbats and environuts...At some point there will be black market aternatives if not already...Gotta look into that...LOL...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You criticize me for suggesting to give a tree owner back his own wood, and then propose violation of international law, smuggling across national borders? Pot, kettle......

.

Anybody know if the old style cans can be purchased in Canada?

I'll be heading up north in a few weeks and might just pick up a few (for my own use, of course) if they haven't converted yet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Quit back peddling. You were wrong to suggest that the OP get some teenagers to throw the wood over the fence. Don't try to convince me that you were being in a "giving mood".

Care to point out where in my post I propose smuggling anything?

I asked if they were available for sale in Canada. I also specifically said that I *might* pick up a few of them for my own use which implies I had no intention of breaking any laws by bringing them back for sale in this country.

"I might" means I'll do it if, one, if they're available, and two, it's legal to bring them into the states for personal use. With the fairly simple way to fix the US models available via YouTube, do you really think I'm going to risk arrest or whatever punishment would result if I tried to smuggle a couple of gas cans into the US? Gimme a break...the risk-reward ratio just doesn't make it worth the effort.

How's this for proof that I don't plan to "smuggle" anything? Last summer I declared that I had a bunch of fruit, including 2 mangos, that my wife bought at a farm market. Turns out mangos aren't grown in Canada and therefore not allowed into the US. That little declaration caused us to be delayed for 30 minutes as they did a cursory inspection of my vehicle for other contraband.

I, unlike you, was not suggesting anything illegal.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I forgot, there is also a kerosene shortage here. I guess the jets are using it up.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

never spilled with these

Watson

Thanks for helping make my point.

.

[...]

1) It's not his wood once it's in her yard except for some might specialized cases, IIRC. 2) DD is contemplating an action he alone will take and be responsible for whereas: 3) You've suggested that doing wrong is the right course of action for another person 4) We don't even know if purchasing a gas can in Canada and bringing it back filled with emergency gas (hint DD) is illegal. Got a cite for the international law he'll be violating?

I've been looking, but gas cans don't seem to be among the many things listed that are prohibited to bring into the US.

Has a lot of useful numbers that anyone contemplating returning with a gas can or two might call to be sure their purchases won't be confiscated at the border. You might even bring your old, crappy US gas can along going in, declare it, and then ditch the US can and buy a Canadian one explaining that it was leaking. But I am not sure we've even ascertained the cans sold in Canada are substantially different in design.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Great response. Are we supposed to guess how I helped make your point?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I wonder if there are *very* different designs. I rather like the last couple of gas "cans", I've bought. I don't spill with either and they're far more "secure" than the can's I've had in the past.

Reply to
krw

First, you're not suggesting anything of the kind. If the wood is on your side of the property line, it's not the neighbor's. It's yours. ...and your problem.

Second, buying a gas can, or toilet, in Canada and bringing it back to the US for personal use is *not* smuggling. Old one may be illegal to sell (not sure what the legal status of gas cans is) but they are *not* illegal to possess.

Reply to
krw

I wonder how you would hold a 5 gallon can, push in on the spout, while balancing the funnel, and squeezing trying to get flow?

Greg

Reply to
gregz