Frustrated with Suburban Water Systems.

A few weeks ago, i posted a message about black rocks {maybe iron sulfide}coming in through our water lines and clogging up the seals in the toilets and preventing them from shutting off. They are also getting into the cartridge of the bathtub valve preventing the valve from shutting off all the way causing the tub to leak about 15 gallons of water per day.I called Suburban Water Systems in West Covina, Calif to have them pick up a sample of these little rocks to see what they were and where they are coming from.It has been two weeks and no calls from them.Perhaps they know it's a problem with them,don't want to admit it.I've left messages and no response from them. A plumber replaced the fill valves in the toilets and carridge in the tub. All were fine for three days, but not now. He does not know what the rocks are or where they originated from.I'm reluctant to call another plumber. Has anyone had a problem like this before? I flushed out the lines, but the rocks keep coming back. They are several sizes larger than a grain of sand. I even called my city hall. They called Suburban too and did not get a response from them. Who can i contact to get this matter taken care of? I just don't know if it is coming from our lines or the cities.Thanks.
Contact that plumber again, and tell them you'd like a whole-house water filter installed. This should, with reasonable maintenance, eliminate debris from the city's water supply, allowing you to narrow down your search to your own piping. Tom
Also contact the health department in your area (probably state-level) and complain. Request that they inspect the system. They probably also have sample data on the source water that can give you a better idea of what is going on. Safe drinking water standards (federal) have a limit on the amount of dissolved solids in potable water. Your district may have been busting those limits. Note this applies to public water systems and not necessarily to private wells. Liz

Thanks for your reply. I didn't think about contacting the health dept. I will do that tomorrow. Regards, Bob. Li wrote:

Coincidence?: "COVINA, CA - Suburban Water Systems is currently looking to hire a quality assurance manager. The qualified individual will oversee and supervise water treatment plants operations and maintenance activities as well as prepare water quality summaries and reports. Five years of progressive experience in performing work in the area of water production, water quality and environmental engineering is required. In addition, a bachelor's degree from an accredited university or seven years of directly related experience, is necessary. " http://waternet.com/news.asp?mode=4&N_IDY801
who is affected on your block? what: is the total amount of leakage dollars. where: are the homeowners who are affected? when: does this occur? time of day, day of week, during nearby construction hours? why: how: a good old time plumber and a cranky attorney general.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If you were not in such a warm climate I would suggest they had a pipe rupture and some debris got into the pipe while they were fixing it. They rupture all the time here in Michigan winter, not sure about CA.
--
Thank you,

Frustrating as it is, installing a sediment filter is cheaper than having a plumber come out every few weeks. It is not a cure for the real cause, but will fix your problem.