Frozen well pump - help!

Page 1 of 3

Bear with me here, I might have some of the terminology wrong:
I water my horses from an outside well that's powered by an electric pump down in the well. The "pump" that's frozen is the pump unit that's at ground level, not the electric one down in the well. At least I HOPE it's not the one down in the well...
Normally, when using the water, I hook up the hose to the ground level "pump" (I don't know what else to call this part), lift the handle up and then flip the switch to start the electric pump and pump the water. After I'm done filling the troughs, I put the "pump" handle down and shut off the electric.
Yesterday, there was an ice block in the hose so I shut off the electric, detached the hose BUT I FORGOT TO PUT THE PUMP HANDLE DOWN. An hour later, when I got back with the thawed hose, everything at the "pump" was frozen solid. The handle is frozen in the up position and won't budge. No water will come out when the electric pump is on.
I did try to thaw the ground level pump with a small propane torch for almost an 45 minutes. I thought the only block must be in the top of the ground level pump since no water would have been pushing upward from the well without the electric running, right? But I had no luck. It did cross my mind that parts that weren't receiving direct heat were refreezing faster than I could keep them thawed. What do I need to do to thaw this out? We're due to be in a deep freeze here for another week at least. Do I need to call in professional help? Who do I call? A plumber?
Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Giselle (obviously a city girl gone bad)

Since you left water in the outer pump, there would be water in the line from the pump back. Can the pump be removed? If so, take it off and take it inside to thaw and you can then work on the rest of the piping if need be. It is also possible that the freezing cracked the pump housing and it will not work or will leak.
wrote in message

Oh, good grief.
I have no idea if the pump can be removed.
Please tell me I didn't damage the electrical pump down in the well. PLEASE.
What a nightmare. Especially since when I was removing the hose I made a mental note to put the handle down and THEN FORGOT ALL ABOUT IT. *groan*
I'm not getting the setup. It seems like if you had a deep well (submersible) pump, you wouldn't need one at ground level. It may just be a shallow well pump, In any event, if you allowed water up the pipe and into the pump housing, if probably froze at the top of the pipe and in the housing. If you can do it yourself, do as Ed suggested with the pump. The pipe feeding the pump may be frozen near the surface as well and need the torch. Also be careful not to drop that pipe down the well. Tie a rope to it before you disconnect it. If you can't do it yourself, I'd call well people first,before plumbers

Right. I didn't know the right words. Someone mentioned the piece at the ground level is a riser spigot.

I did the torch thing until my legs froze off last night. I don't think my torch was big enough to do anything but thaw a localized area.
I'm going to make one last ditch effort by setting up a sawhorse/tarp house around the spigot and put some heat lamps out there. If that doesn't work, then a well repairman will be summoned.
Thanks.
Now you're cookin, (figuratively) that makes more sense. The tent idea sounds good. I hope you're not in Chicago where it's supposed to be 30 below. Good luck

What do you mean by the electric pump in the well? If it is a shallow well pump in some sort of a pit, it is possible that it froze as well. Usually on those, the pressure switch freezes first and causes the pump to stop operating. If you have such a pump, put a heat lamp on it. If you have a submersible pump, it is unlikely to be damaged. I'm surprised you haven't been able to thaw the spigot. Is this one of the setups that has a pipe sticking out of the ground with an orange handle that you pull up to turn the water on? I'd call that a hydrant. Perhaps the ice blockage extends under the level of the ground a bit. It shouldn't be a big deal to thaw the upper portion, but thawing the blockage below the surface would take some doing. Put a torch right on the pipe where it enters the ground. At any rate, the fact that you left the handle up is a good thing, since as it froze, the expanding water would have a place to go.
If he would have left the handle down, then the water would have drained back down. That how a freeze proof hydrant work. And that's what it sounds like he has. see: http://www.woodfordmfg.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/how_fpyh_works.htm
--
Steve Barker

"marson" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message

She. IF SHE... City girl.
And if it hadn't been at the end of a very long and tiring day, the handle would have been down. In two years, I never used it and forgot to close it before. But, as my luck would have it, it happened when it was six degrees outside. :(
so sorry for the gender mistake. What are you having to water hourly?
--
Steve Barker

"FragileWarrior" <FragileWarrior@f\'loonsmustdie.com> wrote in message

Until now, nothing. I watered once a day into an old bathtub.
Now that I'm reduced to running out with 5 gallon buckets of water, I'm checking hourly, refilling maybe every three or four hours.
I have a draft and two mini horses.
Sounds like you're in the same deep freeze I am. (eastern kansas)
--
Steve Barker

"FragileWarrior" <FragileWarrior@f\'loonsmustdie.com> wrote in message

Central Indiana. The water I'm spilling on the barn (cement) floor is freezing as soon as it hits.
Nice time to freeze a well spigot up, huh?
Yeah, I hear you. We are trying to keep 30 chickens, two dogs, and a cat in water at a place where we don't live yet.
--
Steve Barker

"FragileWarrior" <FragileWarrior@f\'loonsmustdie.com> wrote in message
Still frozen after 24 hours. :(
Anyone know how I can create a hole in the ozone right over the hydrant? -12 overnight was probably not a big help in getting anything thawed even WITH heat tape and insulation.

I see you tied a propane torch-way too small. You might be able to find a weed burner or snow melter torch at the home center that hooks up to a barbeque propane tank. Short of that, pick up a piece of round vent pipe, snap it around the hydrant, and fill it with charcoal....
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:18:11 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Electric coffeepot, wine-pump, 8 feet of tubing. Keep pumping hot water into the muzzle and let it run out again into the coffeepot. Periodically shove the tube farther into the pipe as the blockage retreats. Also, bury the whole thing in bales of hay, and THEN toss a tarp over it all.
Also, call around and see if you can find someone who's got an electric welder, who knows how to use it to thaw pipe.

i bet if you had tried my recomendation about the electric blankets along w/ your thought of using a tent type contraption you would have had better results.
sorry to hear of your trouble.
I'll repeat in case you missed it or your ISP missed it. I would try a torpedo heater blowing into the canvas tarp tent you already mentioned.
FragileWarrior wrote:

even
depending on the size of the tent contraption....it'll melt or burn it up. those heaters put out too many btu's. she needs direct heat source to the pipe and ground surface not just ambient warm air. like a thremal blanket.