Frozen shut off valve

I have replaced a shutoff valve several times. I like the globe valves with a handle that only has to go 90-degrees from full off to full on. However, on very cold nights they seem to crack and a small leak results. Is there a special valve for use in freezing environments or am I just unlucky?
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:35:09 GMT, "William W. Plummer"

I think this is a ball valve you are talking about, but understood.

Where is this valve located? I mean, maybe you should try to not have the piping and valve exposed to freezing conditions.
later,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
William W. Plummer wrote:

No plumbing parts handle water well in freezing conditions.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"William W. Plummer" wrote:

Yes, and no...
There are long-stem valves to keep the seat inside the wall (assuming this is a through wall spigot)...
Depending on the application, there's probably something else more suited if it isn't. Post the actual application and undoubtedly get more specific responses...
message

You need to insulate the pipe or use a pipe warmer. You might also build a little dog house around the pipe.
--

Roger Shoaf