Frozen Screws

I have never had the simple application of a penetrating oil allow me to remove a stuck bolt. Don't get me wrong, I own it and apply it, and drip it on the floor and self. It may help once you ever get the fastener to move, but I really don't think it is a magic panacea.

I have had excellent results with a hand impact. You need to use it before the slots are ruined in the head of the bolt. Here is a picture of one:

DanG
050416 1116 - Duane Bozarth posted:

Yes, I would forget the penetrating oil, torch, solder iron, and hand impact tools. The impact drill/driver is the way to go. Get a bit that fits perfectly into the slot of the screw and set the impact at very light at first and set the drill in reverse and use a low speed. Just let the impactor hammer away with the light taps until the screw comes out. You will have to keep the bit from distorting the screw head all the while. If the screw doesn't come out with this, adjust the impact a little heavier. An impact tool is a wonderful thing in this situation. I can attest to their worth in this regard, especially the pneumatic ones.

Reply to
indago

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 07:40:18 -0700, the Truth Squad wrote (in article ):

Do the screws hold anything other than the bottom plate? Does the bottom plate (as best you can tell from the outside!) hold anything inside? Can the blender function without it?

If you can't loosen the screws, your only option is to drill off the screw heads. That'll leave a little of the screw shank remaining, which might allow you to grab it with vice grips or other means and attempt further loosening.

Or you might just leave the bottom off and glue some large rubber feet on it.

(I do know what you mean about wanting to get inside and clean up all the dust and old malt (yeeeech!) ).

Good luck!

Reply to
DaveC

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:07:52 -0700, Wayne Boatwright wrote (in article ):

Call their toll free # (during the week):

300-311-3374

It's worth tracking down some rather than using WD-40, or such.

Reply to
DaveC
050417 1040 - the Truth Squad posted:

Not really! Those impact drivers, be they pneumatic, or electric, or the drill/hammer drill driver type, really shake those old screws up some. Of course, something that has been left outside for several years, and has been eaten up by the elements, even I would consider this beyond redemption.

Reply to
indago

On Sun 17 Apr 2005 05:41:49a, willshak wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks, I looked for Kroil at a couple of places yesterday and didn't find it.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I should probably own one of these!

On Sun 17 Apr 2005 06:50:04a, DanG wrote in alt.home.repair:

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Apr 2005 11:27:38a, DaveC wrote in alt.home.repair:

That may be the case, but I'm still going to try.

No, the screws just hold the feet against the plate and the plate against the bottom of the base. Nothing appears to be attached to the plate. It appears to be just a cover plate.

Yes, if worse comes to worse. :-(

If I can't get them out without damage, I'll probably take it to a repair shop of some kind. I really want it be still look original.

Yep, after 50 years there's no telling what's up in there!

Thanks!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Apr 2005 02:24:02p, DaveC wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks, Dave!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright