frozen AC unit

we have a split unit AC unit. has a tendency, on occasion, to start up on its own. we were out of town this weekend and came back to find out the whole thing was frozen up. i've shut it off at the breaker to allow it to defrost.
question: is it destroyed? i did briefly try to start it and the control system lit up,and didn't trip any breakers but nothing started up.
any suggestions or comments? thanks much
The primary reason for icing up AC is insufficient air flow across the coil. Once you're thawed out, run it without a filter for a bit to verify that everything works and to remove any ice still left in the coils and fins. Make sure the coils are clean, not grimy or choked off with dust bunnies.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

Sounds like it just froze up because it was too cold outside or low on freon. But it should be fine. When you tried to start it again, what did not turn on? The compressor, air handler.
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 17:22:29 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

it's a split unit but i felt nothing from the fan. don't know if the compressor came on or not. i didnt want to run it too long...
it was in the mid 50's when it was running.
Since it's still cooling. probably not destroyed. However, it's due for repairs. I'd want a service company to have a look, try and figure out what's not working properly.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

yeah i think it's probably due. i'll leave the breaker off until spring...might be low in freon.
Around me, the HVAC guys are going into winter clean and checks. An AC repair might be cheaper, now that it's "off season". On the other hand, it may leak out again before spring. No definite answer, sadly.
Wait till early spring sounds like a reasonable answer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 20:43:50 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

i assume it was running shortly before we got home because there was a fair amount of ice on the wall unit. but nothing was runnin when we got home and the fan didn't come on when i powered the unit up

Dirty filters, really dirty?!
What froze, inside or outside?

it was the grill on the wall unit...had about 1/2" of ice on it...and the lines leading to and from the compressor outside were iced up

That's most commonly low freon. AC's actually get colder when they are slightly low on freon. If it still runs after it thawed out then you didn't damage it. You need someone with a set of guages to take a look at it. If the season is over for you then you may just want to wait till spring. If it has as slow leak it will just leak back out over the winter. But get a early start in spring cause the ac business gets busy then.
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 04:47:16 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc

thanks much...will probably leave until the buds appear on the trees...
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 17:26:30 -0400, bpuharic wrote:

Well if you wish to let the freon leak out you're not doing too good for the environment. I would have it looked at as soon as you can.
Very few AC units contain Freon (registered brand name) any more. Most contain Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or other brand.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 18:47:54 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wasn't referring to a brand name. The OP made no mention of age so for the environment's sake it should be considered to contain an environmentally unsafe refrigerant until proven otherwise. That is unless you don't give a fuck about our environment.

left AC Off for the last few days....it started up today and is working fine...will check freon level in spring