frost in freezer ?

Hello, We have a side by side whirpool refrigerator that is about 3 years old and we are seeing a lot of frost build up in the top of the freezer section.

What is this build up caused by? How do we fix it?

The freezer appears to be cooling well.

Thanks much!

Reply to
ap

I had the same sort of thing happen on my Maytag refrigerator and it was the Freezer thermostat.

Reply to
shouston75

Warm moist air condensing to create water which then freezes.

Start by checking the door seals. If the door isn't tighly closed and sealed there will be a continuous supply of that warm moist air from the room leading to an accumulation of frost.

Also check the thermostat setting and the actual temperature in the freezer to see if you're over-cooling.

And then check for other possible air leaks at the back/side of the freezer compartment.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar
[we have an apt complex.] general wisdom for refrigerator: give it a complete manual defrosting for 48 hours unplugged with doors open and a 20 > Hello,
Reply to
buffalobill

I have the same fridge and had the same problem. Is the refrigerator part warm too? With it running you should hear a fan running in the back of the freezer. Feel for air coming out of the little vent at the top left of the fridge part, adjacent to the freezer. If no air is coming out there is an ice blockage behind that vent. You get to it from the freezer side by removing the top shelves and top cover in the back. Then there is a vent manifold that comes out. You can then see the ice plug. You can either unplug it for a couple days or melt the ice dam with a hair dryer or some warm water in a squeeze bottle. To keep it from happening again be careful not to block the vent with large items in the fridge. It was a box of Bisquik that did it to me. Wife is now "educated" about this vent.

Reply to
gfretwell