Frost Free Faucets

Page 2 of 2
Robertm wrote:

Let me see if I can sum this up. You hired an unlicensed plumber who didn't get a permit and installed a fixture you knew did not meet code. I think you left someone out of that last sentence...

Read again, I said the plumber was LICENSED. No licensed plumber pulls a permit to install a new faucet and thus there are no inspections for minor work, and therefore there is no incentive for a licensed plumber to do the job correctly, and therefore they won't. If he saves a few pennies on every job, he gets that much extra under the guise of doing good work. His license says his work is good and he is approved by the state as a knowledgeable professional. What more could a homeowner ask for than someone who is blessed by a state licensing board? How about an honest job? Never happen.
Bob
Robertm wrote:

Sorry for the misread, Bob. When did you find out that the anti-siphon was required? I've had similar incidents with electricians. For some reason they love to bury junction boxes. I run into them all of the time when I open up walls, and I even have my otherwise excellent electrician make the suggestion to bury them. "Save you some time and money..." Not happening.
wrote in message

A couple of weeks after installation I got around to reading the little sheet they have in the box and figured it was no big deal because I could simply add an external anti-siphon. So I went and bought one and then when I opened the box it explained that an external anti-siphon cannot be used with a frostfree sillcock. The anti-siphon feature would be important if I had irrigation or had any use of pesticide spraying equipment added to the hose, but I use it only for water so it's not a big deal unless I should ever sell the house. Just irritates me to pay a licensed person for a job that is supposed to meet the code and they cut corners to save a dollar or two. He could have given me the option of paying $10 more for a job that would meet the code or he could have quoted higher in the first place. I've hired three different licensed plumbers since I bought the place and they are all the same. None of them know how to solder so they use compression fittings. They don't use enough hangers. Schedule 40 pipe ends up being something without a number on it and after they leave I have to repair the leaks they left behind. I gave up and am now resigned to doing the work myself.
Bob
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Try something more industrial -- electrically-operated valves well in from the walls, where things won't freeze.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
snipped-for-privacy@phred.org says...

Just recalled another alternative I've seen for a remote water shutoff, ought to work for a faucet, too -- if you don't mind drilling another small hole for a pushrod, you can remotely operate a quarter-turn ball valve. The pushrod links to the handle on the ball valve, push to turn it off, pull to turn it on.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
http://www.plumbingstore.com/woodford.html
buffalobill wrote:

Good link, thanks.