Front storm door

Im looking to add a storm door to the front of the house. Ive got good skills and was wondering how hard it actually is to install one.

Not too much on the net about this as I have searched.

Comments anyone? Good quality doors? (lowes, HD?).

Thanks in advance.

coffee

Reply to
coffee

You need first to find out whether the doorway has standard dimensions (i.e. will fit a storm door bought off the rack.) Homeowners' manuals in your public library will tell you how to fit a standard-sized door. Non-standard sizes require prior experience.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

We have a combination - 1/2 screen for the summer. A glass goes in its place for the winter. We have a small porch so it is not exposed to snow or rain.

Our neighbors have a solid glass door that goes over their front door. None of them have a screen for the summer.

If you are handy you could do this yourself.

Hub is not handy so we had ours installed by a merchant that sells them and installs it.

shirleyann

Reply to
Shirley ann

Hi, Not difficult at all with basic tools. Even I could do it, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The doorway is 30 by 80. Pretty standard Im guessing.

Thanks,

coffee

Reply to
coffee

I've done it too, with three doors. I've used the 'Forever' brand doors and had no problem. If there is a problem, they have actual telephone support, and will even replace parts you might muck up during installation. Install the frame top and sides, hang the door, then install the handles and locks, weather seal, and the pistons. There's a bit of fooling around to get it to close the way you like. Last, there's some plastic trim to conceal the screws. For a fat-hand like me, that's the hardest part.

Keith

If you carefully follow the instrctions, installation is easy. Before you start make sure your brick molding is sound and in good condition.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Mon 06 Oct 2008 04:44:53a, coffee told us...

Most are easy to install unless you have unusual circumstances. Lowes carries (among others) Larson storm doors which are excellent quality and come in a variety of styles and pricesw. The most common standard sizes are 36" and 32", but it's not impossible to find 30".

We had one of the Larson Williamsburg model which was a truly beautiful and extremely well made door. We had it for 8 years when we sold the house and it still looked like new.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

coffee wrote in news:5YOdnVgzBq8rFHfVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Front of the house and the door is only 30"??? Front doors are usually

36" to accomodate moving things in and out. Possibly you have another entrance that oc 36" min?
Reply to
Red Green

sorry Im responding late. Had a Hard drive meltdown and had to reload.

I will remeasure the doorway. But Im pretty sure its a standard size.

Thanks

Reply to
coffee