Front screen door problem

All of a sudden my metal screen door is 'warped'. It won't close correctly. I hear it rubbing against the concrete saddle. The first thing I checked were the hinges and the screws. They are taut as they should be. Can't figure out why it won't close normally and the rubbing. If it were made of wood..then I would blame it on the humidity...but metal? Any ideas? c

Reply to
Boothbay

Perhaps you could shim out the lower hinges, if you have enough room along the striker jamb. Tom

Reply to
tom

Got any kids around that like to hang on it ? No screen door is really built to support more than the weight of the glass and a bit of screen

You may able to adjust the bottom weatherstripping up a bit. Look for the screws along the bottom edge inside.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

I once had a front storm that would catch in the wind and fly back open; ripped out the closer a couple of times and likely would bend the hinges and/or door. There was no landscaping for windbreak, so we put up a lattice "fence" as tall as the door at each side of the entry, which solved the problem.

Reply to
Norminn

I'm not sure what you mean by concrete saddle, but under certain conditions, a concrete step or block can rise a bit. Just like the frost heaves you see in the road after the winter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Boothbay" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

My parents had the same problem. They can't close the door all the way. I noticed I have that problem a bit now,too. It seems to appear when we have rainy weather. We both have aluminum doors, but the frame/house is wood. At least I can close my door.

Reply to
Rescate

Tom has a good plan there. One other thing to check is all of the securement on the edges of the door. Sometimes they will loosen.

Reply to
C & M

Try tightening the screws above the top hinge at the corner of the door that pulls the top of the door to the side piece. If they tighten try the other corners too; that's usually what causes that.

: : I once had a front storm that would catch in the wind and fly back open; : ripped out the closer a couple of times and likely would bend the hinges : and/or door. There was no landscaping for windbreak, so we put up a : lattice "fence" as tall as the door at each side of the entry, which : solved the problem. :

Reply to
Pop

Perhaps you could shim out the lower hinges, if you have enough room along the striker jamb. Tom >>>

Sounds logical, but how does one do that on what looks like a piano hinge from top to bottom?

Reply to
Boothbay

Well, that's different! With a long wedge/shim, installed vertically. Tom

Reply to
tom