Front porch flooring

Talked to my local lumber yard and bought tongue and groove mohogany for the front porch flooring of my rental. It is not big, 7 by 7. Any tips on installation? The lumber yard suggested stainless steel screws at every joist.

Reply to
yaofeng

Sounds like a mistake.

Is this an enclosed porch?

Follow the instructions on the package, or better yet, go to their web site and look for installation instructions.

Reply to
DK

How so? It is not enclsed but not open like a deck either.

Reply to
yaofeng

Usually tongue and groove flooring of any kind is installed by nailing at an angle through the tongue, so that no nails show when the floor is finished. Tool rental places can rent you a special gadget for doing the nailing. Installing nails or screws by hand at an angle like that would be difficult and time consuming, and for screws might not work at all (the screw head would probably mess up the tongue so that the groove of the next board would not fit over it right). Installing screws from above, so that they show when the floor is finished, would look really really bad. So: call a tool rental place and explain what you're doing, they'll fix you up.

Reply to
Heathcliff