Front Porch

I have a concrete front porch that needs some help. There are the obvious repairs that I know what to do with, but...The surface is uneven and has a small valley in it, along with a lengthwise crack that runs the distance of the porch, patched by previous owner and is uneven. The whole porch is painted. I want to make the surface flat and I also was wondering about using that quikcrete, or whoever makes it, vynl coating to prevent furthur cracking, from at least showing up. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated! Perhaps the garage floor stuff from quikcrete?

Have you consider laying sleepers down to even the surface and "decking" the porch with wood or a composite decking material?
Depending on the size, you could make "deck squares" which would be removable for maintenence, etc.
thebigguy wrote:

What you are describing is a failed slab- any patches will fail in the same place within a few winters. Is this a raised porch? If so, what are the sides made from? Raised porches are usually filled with dirt, which often settles. If slab cracks, especially on a non-raised porch, water can get in there and freeze, which heaves and moves the concrete around.
Before you spend money, sweat, and time on a DIY patch, call a couple of local flatwork companies that say 'free estimates' in their yellow pages ads. It may be cheaper than you think, especially if it is just a 'cap' slab that needs replacing.
-- aem sends...