front loader washing machine Door

Page 1 of 2
my mother leaves her [front loading] washing machine door Open when not in use
is there a reason for this?
thanks marc

On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 11:37:34 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's the recommended practice by some of the manufacturers. Water left in the door seals that results in bacteria, mold, nasty smells is a major problem.
On 03/20/2015 11:54 AM, trader_4 wrote:

OTOH, I have seen it recommended NOT to leave the door open, in case a small child climbs in and gets trapped. I think that the instructions for our Kenmore front-loader said to leave the detergent/bleach/fabric softener dispenser open instead.
Perce
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 3:20:33 PM UTC-4, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Could a kid manage to climb in and close and latch the door behind them? IDK, the one's I've seen, don't even have anything by which to pull on the door from the inside. I doubt very much that leaving a dispenser open is going to do much to get moisture out of the door seal. If the manufacturer's are worried about a kid climbing in, you'd think they'd have a door design so that you couldn't pull it closed from the inside. And maybe at least most of them do, if not by intention, by chance.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:15:27 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

... on a new one. The door does not lock until you set the cycle you want and hit start. Then the computer tests the load and if it was a big lump, like a kid, it stops the cycle and unlocks the door. It is really looking at the weight and distribution. If you roll up everything in a sheet and throw it in as a big ball, the washer will not start tho BTDT.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 15:15:27 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

What if he crawls in anyway and gets bleached, softened, or deterged?

Darwin wins again?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 08:37:27 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Trader is right on. It is to prevent mold on the door gasket and let the tub dry out. In fact our new machine has a "half cock" detent on the door hinge that holds the door open far enough to air out the gasket and tub.
thanks all,
I think I'll read through the Manual thoroughly
marc

We've decided you're old enough to know.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

Ah, good. Someone that actually RTFM.

Hint: When the door is closed, the drum is both air and water-tight.
Scott Lurndal:
RTFM - in English?
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:17:39 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Read The Friggin Manual
1:27 snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: "On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:17:39 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Read The Friggin Manual "
THANK YOU.
Is that so difficult to type out in this LAZY-ASS 21st century?!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

As this is Usenet, and RTFM has been in the usenet dictionary since the 1980's, I felt it was a suitable acronym - one that has found its way into the vernacular, in fact.
On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 18:50:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

The tech crowd has been using that for 50 years or more that I know of. I heard it in basic electronics in 1965 and I don't think the instructor hadn't heard anything new for 20 years then. He was still blathering on about what he did in the war.

Whining from a dumbfuck cretin that loves to LOL and SMH. Back on the short bus with you, dumfuck.

On Fri, 20 Mar 2015 16:32:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

They should have made it water-tight but not air-tight. Problem solved.