front door chime not working

Except we KNOW the front door solenoid is not open circuit - or there would be NO SPARK, and the button would not light. PERHAPS the rear plunger MIGHT not be sticky if the front door one is - but it is unlikely - as whatever stuck up the front door plunger was also present at the rear door plunger, which has not moved sinse the unit was installed.

Reply to
clare

Was this a fancy electronic chime? If so, some of them have a different resistance on each button that differentiates the front button from the back. In that case, having no resistor or the wrong resistance WOULD cause the chime to fail to respond.

I think they call that "network control" (uses a resistor network to control the chime)

Reply to
clare

Of course there's no open circuit. It's acting exactly as it would if the solenoid was stuck as John suggested.

Reply to
RBM

This is why someone said I was recommending a higher voltage! Not my post his replied to.

I forgot that I said this.

Yes, my bad, here. I'm pretty sure when I went to a bigger transformer, it was also a higher voltage, so that made me write something stupid. But the higher voltage would't be rquired, only higher current capacity.

Reply to
micky

If there is a spark at the button there WILL be power at the chime. It's a simple series circuit. If there is CURRENT FLOW the circuit HAS to be complete. If there is a spark, there is current flow. Simple basic electrical theory. Measuring the AC voltage across the wires at the button will tell him what the voltage of the system is. If it is

12 volts or more, the chime should ring. If it is less, the transformer is highly suspect - I don't know of a doorbell transformer rated at less than 12 volts - 16 is the most common - 18 and 24 are also out there.

Fix or replace the chime.

If you are scared to put it in the dishwasher, put it in the trash-can and buy a new one.

Reply to
clare

When I was renting, I left the landlord alone almost all the time, but otoh, I think this is his repsonssiblity. Most lls would be happy to pay for the new chime rather than to have to call a repairman to go to your home and fix is.

But you probably have to ask him first, if you want him to pay for it.

For example, he may say. I have a working chime you can have. I'll drop it off for you.

(When my wireless doorbell on the 2nd floor broke after 10 years, a friend offered me one he wasn't using, new in the bubble pack.)

Most landlords know how to do simple repairs or they have a handyman who doesn't charge him a minimum to come out and diagnose, and would charge him for actual time spent including travel, but probably only true travel time, especially if he's going from one of LL's rentals to another. IOW, he'll charge the LL 20 or 30 dollars plus the cost of the bell if he puts one in. . If he has a description of the problem in advance, he'll bring a new chime with him.

Reply to
micky

I call it "shoot from the hip syndrome". Statistics is a wonderful thing. They're very useful for sizing power plants. But when you get down to the individual event, they're useless.

If you set yourself on fire, it matters not that most people don't set themselves on fire. YOU ARE ON FIRE!!!

Just because YOU have never seen an exception to your rule, don't mean that an exception don't exist or may even be common in a different part of the world.

If you're not sure EXACTLY what's on the other end of that particular fuse, you should NOT suggest that someone else light it. They just might end up on fire.

As a general rule, the only thing you should put in the dishwasher is dishes. Anything else requires a thorough understanding of ALL the consequences of doing so. In this case, neither you nor the OP has a clue. The only thing we KNOW from this thread is that there's a thing on the wall that used to ding and now doesn't.

Reply to
mike

We also know you are clueless.

Reply to
clare

Well, we KNOW the problem is not due to a mouse chewing the wire, or a nail, because of the simple tests and observations that have already been reported, and the fact that at least a couple of us actually understand how the circuit works.. Your reports (first hand) of your

- I hate to use the word, but there is no other that fits - STUPIDITY shows YOU do NOT understand the circuit or the problem.

Reply to
clare

I don't think I've ever seen you so nasty. Take a laxative, and maybe you'll be okay by tonight.

Reply to
micky

Aside for the dishwasher approach, can you recommend a spray solvent to do this? I read not to use spray oil as that in time will collect dirt. I was thinking of even trying compressed air but just a guess on my part.

Reply to
Doug

:

Ok, let's work with basic electrical theory. The chime is wired with a two conductor cable. Place a short in that cable anywhere along it's run and you will still have sparks when you short the door switch wires and no power at the chime. Is that more likely than the door chime being the culprit? No and I already agreed the chime should be investigated next. But you can't rule out a short along the way either. It's easy to test for power at the chime with the door switch shorted and that's what I would do. If he doesn't have a tester and doesn't want to spend $10 on one, then he can skip that step.

I also have to disagree with the "put it in a dishwasher idea." As someone else pointed out, you don't know what specific chime he has or what going through a dishwasher will or won't do to it. For example, I've seen paper as part of the solenoid, felt on the striker, etc. If dirt, dust etc is blocking the solenoid, there are better and safer ways of dealing with it than putting it in a dishwasher.

Reply to
trader4

:

Compressed air sounds like a good choice. That's what I would probably use. Another option would be electronic parts cleaner.

Reply to
trader4

If it's a rental, why is it your problem at all? In most rental situations if something isn't working it's the landlord's headache, not yours. Could be you have a different arrangement, but just saying...

Reply to
trader4

In Texas it's what the lease states.

Reply to
Doug

I am the landlord :( In my own house, the transformer is in the attic near where you enter the attic.

Reply to
Doug

I'm the landlord :( ... here in Texas, goes by the lease.

Reply to
Doug

Nice !!

Reply to
Doug

A tenant under the law can not be required to pay for "repairs" for damages which are not their responsibility...

A doorbell is hardwired to the landlord's premises and therefore not the property of the tenant... A doorbell (and even an intercom and door release on larger apartment buildings) is required on rental units, therefore it is something that the landlord must provide in proper working order... Like a smoke detector or fire alarm system -- not the tenant's problem to deal with as they are not the owner of the building and don't deal with the fire department for permits or inspections...

So the only way a tenant would be paying for those repairs, would be if the tenant ripped the chime or door button out of the wall maliciously intending to cause damage to the landlord's property...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Does it work in reverse such that when the detector is no longer activated, does the radio shut off?

Reply to
Doug