frog in toilet

Odd I imagine, but when I went into the bathroom a few minutes ago and lifted the lid, a large, 4-5" red spotted frog (guessing Cuban tree frog) was looking back at me. Go ahead and laugh, I still am. I stood there stunned for a few moments, then tried to scoop it out with a glass candle holder. Before I could, it swam back through the hole. I'm guessing it came in through the pipe that goes through the roof, as we've seen them in those pipes before, hanging out Kilroy style. So, toilets haven't been used since, and frog hasn't popped back up yet. Should I wait and see if it does and try to catch it again? Assume it's down in the septic tank now? Can it get back up into the vent pipe if that's how it got in? FWIW, this is central FL, and in a remarkable cold snap right now. I guess it got in to warm up. I'm confident it came in through the toilet, somehow, but how I don't know. We'll hold it for now, hoping we can somehow rescue the poor thing. Any tips welcome, teasing and laughing understood.

Reply to
Melissa

A similar story went like this. Some guy hears a cat in his fireplace chimney. Calls the fire dept who comes out and start disassembling his chimney a bit. THey here the crying but can't find the cat. They keep taking it apart until deep down they find a frog that apparently can cry like a cat when it is under stress. Wonder who paid for the new chimney. True story.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

i saw that on tv... dont know if it was the same case or a different one, but they tore apart quite a bit to get to it. sure as hell sounded like a cat, but it was indeed a frog.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You need a screen over that vent or your next visitor could be a roof rat. (the source of most rat in the toity stories)

1/2" hardware cloth works fine.
Reply to
Greg

So many of these questionable posts read like bad e-mail jokes.

Reply to
c_kubie

Alrighty then, seems most think this is already or I'm inventing some urban legend. However, the frog in the toilet is fact. OK, I know that means nothing to anyone here. I thought one of my kids forgot to flush, then the mess moved and that freaked me out a bit. If it happens to anyone else here, I'll believe you. Anyway, frog has not returned, toilets have been flushed multiple times. I wonder how long it will be before I can sit without fully inspecting the bowl first.

Thanks for those that generously took the chance that I'm not a nut looking for attention, and suggested the screening over the vent tubes. Our roof still needs replacing from hurricane damage, so maybe we'll get the tubes replaced with those that have the built in cover, but in the mean time we'll be zip cording some screening over the tubes. The mention of a rat really skeeves.

Reply to
Melissa

You don't have top get too fancy with the screens. An 18" square of 1/2" hardware cloth will stay there if you fold it up carefully, wear gloves. A 3' square from the hardware store makes 4. Mine survived Charley, Frances and Jeane. BTW the roof rat (rattus rattus) thing is real. I have lots of citrus and we had our bout with the rats. The real problem is, if one gets in, he will eat a hole to get out, then his buddies will come and go until you find and patch the hole.

Reply to
Greg

You have me all freak out now and I have to go take a crap.

Thanks a lot

Reply to
Shadowz

Did the frog go rib it rib it rib it?

Reply to
Bob

If you do, you'll be the first woman on the planet who looks at the toilet before sitting.

Why do you think men take so much grief for not putting down the seat? Because the women back up before looking and fall in.

Reply to
JerryMouse

That might just be a prince. Try kissing it.

Reply to
William Brown