FrigidaireNotDefrosting

I have 7 year old Kenmore/Frigidaire top freezer refrigerator. It been really hot lately, compressor runs about 90% of the time but does maintain 35F in fresh food compartment as long as evaporator is frost free. Problem is that evap coils keep frosting over and I have to defrost these manually. I have replaced defrost timer and checked the heater/thermostat circuit(measures 33ohm )to be good. Is it possible that the excessive on-duty cycle produces frost faster than system can remove it? Have any experts seen an problem like this? Thanks , in advance George Raetz

This is Turtle.
You forgot one item to check. The '' defrost terminator '' to see if it is good. It is a 1" button that is clamped on the evaperator coil to tell when the coil is defrosted and turn element off. if it is bad it will not let the coil defrost at all.
TURTLE
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

This is Turtle.
Does Thermostat circuit mean defrost terminator ? Or Does it mean he check the thermostat circuit of the refrigerator ?
I see a lot of defrost systems have trouble and they change the timer and then check the heat element and it's good. then they still have trouble and find out later the defrost terminator would let the defrost cycle start but cut it off way too soon.
This fellow has a defrost terminator messing up or he installed the defrost timer in correctly. he did say the heat element had 33 ohms and seems to be ok.
TURTLE
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

This is Turtle.
Little Johnny , You ain't worked on thousands of boxes for your who speech here evolves around a terminator working or not working as I have stated above here. You just said a terminator can't go out of temperature range but still work. if you have worked on thousands, you would know they have defrost terminator that can go out of range sometimes and give a short defrost time limit. Come on Don't try to bullshit me here.
TURTLE
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Evaporator fan runs great. Also, I took the back cover off the freezer, Set the timer to defrost, and I could see the heater glow red hot and remove all the frost. The (brand new) timer seems to work OK. All I can think of at this point would be an intermittent connection problem, or possibly your suggestion. Thank you very much for help George

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Well, I replaced said thermostat, and problem solved! Thanks very much for help George
Excess frost comes from one of two things. Either there is too much humidity getting into the unit, or the defrost circuit isn't removing the normal frost.
I suspect a failure of the normal defrost system. What's the current draw of the unit when it first goes into defrost?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus