Frigidaire refrigerator fresh food section stopped cooling

If the freezer section is getting down to zero, then the compressor is working properly. You have a blockage between the freezer and the main refrigerator. Is the refrigerator below the freezer compartment, that is the normal setup. You must defrost the entire freezer- refrigerator, leave it off for at least 12 hours, and then turn it back on. set both controls to mid-range and let the thing run for at least 12 hours to start to stabilize temperatures. Then adjust the controls a little at a time, no more than 105 of the range change each time, then wait 4 or 5 hours for things to stabilize. You must also find the defrost timer, that is probably the source of your air- flow blockage, if it doesn't run and defrost for at least 1/2 hour everyday, the frost will build up and block the air flow. IT is most commonly a problem on hot damp days when there is the most frost buildup on the cooling coils, wherever they are.

Reply to
hrhofmann

You're a genius Bob.

I followed most of your steps late Sunday and the fresh food section began cooling again late that night.

This morning with a minor tweak to the fresh food temp control the temperature was back to normal range. (I have a frig thermometer in the fresh food section.)

Finally, it was a rather hot humid day (at least by San Diego standards) when this all started.

I will archive your post for future reference.

Kudos.

************************ "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote:

[...]

Michael T.

What I have yet to determine is if a good appliance repairman can diagnose a defective defrost timer that might be failing intermittently. Whether we fix computers (which I do) or cars or appliances, I think the one thing we all agree on -- WE HATE INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS.

Reply to
Michael T.