Frigidaire Air Conditioner Problem

We've got a Frigidaire room air conditioner that's on the fritz. It came with our house, so I have no idea how old it is, but it looks pretty new. It has a remote, if that's any indication of its age.
At any rate, the fan doesn't turn when the unit is switched on. The motor hums, but the fan doesn't turn. If you start the fan by hand, the unit works, but this is not a practical or safe solution. I took the unit apart to see if there are any lube points, and I couldn't see any. Have any ideas on what to do? If I can't do a home repair, do I call for service, bring it somewhere (it weighs a ton) or just buy a new one?
Thanks in advance,
Bob P.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AuralFeast) wrote in message
Hi,

Bad fan motor, or bad run capacitor are suspect.

Not all have them... http://www.applianceaid.com/a-c.html#airqa

I'd never replace it until you see if this unit can be repaired and the cost, then you can go from there...repair or replace.
Taking it in for someone to check is cheaper than having someone come to your home to check it...saves the service charges.
jeff.
http://www.applianceaid.com / Appliance Repair Aid

I've had that problem a couple of times in my life. The fan motor needs to be replaced as the bearings are on the way out. You can buy a new motor for less than an new AC. If you can't find it locally, go to www.repairclinic.com
I did one last year. Took about an hour. You will need some hand tools, wrench, pliers, screwdriver, etc, plus some patience to get it all together. There is always some stupid clip or fastener that does not come apart easily or go back together easily. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
You have a bad run capacitor for the fan. If you're quite electrically minded, you can find it and change it out.
If not, call a HVAC guy, or an appliance guy. Your description is very good.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Really.?. A top posting mormon is going to teach us about Jesus??? Incredulous.