friggin $%&@ squirrels !

Page 1 of 2

okay, I am about ready to get out the Franchi SPAS-12 and start blasting away at the ^$#@ pests !
does anyone have any proven methods that work in keeping squirrels away from the gutters & woodwork that they happen to be mounted on ?
i've been doing nothing but patching up holes they keep making by chewing their way through wood to get into the attic.
i've patched up pieces using steel chicken wire, and wood wrapped in the stuff - but still the bastards find weaker exposed wood to bite thru (and gain access to the attic).
i've gone from live traps, to poisoning them with rat poison, and placing large spring loaded rat traps around the gutters, but still they keep coming !
my next strategy is using razor concertina wire around the gutters/wood work.
Any suggestions on lethal kill methods that can be deployed un-manned ? and/or ways to keep those squirrels at bay ?
what would a "professional" exterminator do ?

This site should help..... http://doityourself.com/wildlife/squirrels.htm
I lived in the redwood forest on the Central Coast of California for 16 years in a 1947 redwood log home and had hundreds of squirrels. Never a problem.... But there was the Racoon that would get under the house and snored loud enough to wake us!.....Good Luck with your varmints....Ross
Mothballs in the attic, get a few boxes put them in socks with strings attatched in case you want to pull them out later. Leave them one hole to get out and do something to the hole so they cant get back in, like line area with sheet metal so there is nothing to grab onto, or PVC pipe for a slide out. I had one squirrel like that he ate 4 different holes in, id seal up a new one he would start again, finally I trapped him in a have a heart trap. Remember its their home now you are suposed to leave, they were there first.
I also got a fewpacks of gopher bombs, Giant Destroyer, I put them in a coffee can and the coffee can in a metal bucket with a bit of water in. They burn hot like flares , put it in the basement, lit, went outside and saw coughing squirells come running out. But this will kill you, you have to leave for many hours 4-8 then carefully air out the house without killing your self. Have fun, get a pellet gun if all fails

Have a great weekend "M"....Ross
C-u-L8r wrote:

In MA you *must* be a licensed exterminator to use poison or even to transport a wild animal.
But GF read an article that recommended using a metal Slinky on the pole to the bird feeder. I tried it and it works fairly well. I believe it is the sound they don't like.
I had squirrels in my attic two years in a row. They woke me up at midnight. I went into the dark attic with a flashlight and a 38 pistol loaded with shot cartridges. The squirrel would go to where the flashlight pointed and somehow suffered terminal lead poisoning at the same place. Art.

Arthur Davis, now look for rain comming in those 38 shotshell holes, they are there.
Poisoning/shooting/trapping are sometimes pointless, as squirrels multiply faster than you can shoot/trap. Poisoning has additional prob - squirrels and other rodents will die in wall stud areas, making the house unlivable. You need a "systemic" change in how you approach prob. Are there overhanging trees? If there are, you are cooked. If not, see how they get to the eaves, and defeat them there, on their way there.. Are they using wires to get to house, climbing walls? There may be some noxious paint or liquid that you could paint on the eaves. Razor wire will not faze them. One of the 22 high vel. spring air guns will get a few, perhaps legally, but their numbers may win out. Are your fascia boards under the gutters solid? The little monsters tend to start chewing thru at edges and joints, so perhaps little galv. nail-on plates at those points would help. Whenever you find a new hole, use one of those 4x5 inch galv. sheetmetal squares the roofers use to patch holes - avail at hardware store. Avoid chicken wire, as babies can get thru, and it is easy to defeat and gnaw around them.. Trapping a hungry cat in the attic is a possibility. Your best question is what would a professional do. That would be ideal best source of info - hopefully one is tuned in. Good Luck.
Yea but I gotem out..

door, once the last regular hole is patched up - then you can block that opening, once you know all have left the attic. Link, Russell. Landscaping for Wildlife in the Pacific Northwest.
I have recipe for squirrel soup that's quite tasty. Anyhow, use peanut butter on cracker in a Hav-A-hart trap. We have hickory trees. I was catching one squirrel per day for a solid two weeks, then 2-3 a week after that. It greatly decreased the overpopulation. Check your local laws about what you can do with the captured squirrels. Half-inch hardware cloth is effective at patching the openings.

C-u-L8r wrote:

There's good news and bad news.
Squirrels are game animals. There are "seasons" in which they can be killed, etc. You'll have to have a hunting license, and so forth.
The good news is the damage they do is not incidental "rodent" damage as far as insurance is concerned. Since they're game animals, and you can't kill them (off season), well, there you are.
says... :) There's good news and bad news. :) :) Squirrels are game animals. There are "seasons" in which they can be killed, :) etc. You'll have to have a hunting license, and so forth. :) :) The good news is the damage they do is not incidental "rodent" damage as far :) as insurance is concerned. Since they're game animals, and you can't kill :) them (off season), well, there you are. I have a nifty little lethal trap for squirrels so I checked with the state about using it commercially. The different states may vary but in Texas, as mentioned with them being a regulated animal they can only be killed by what is considered legal means. Hunting. For problem squirrels damaging a house the homeowner is supposed to contact their town mayor's office or a Justice of the Peace, who in turns contacts the game/wildlife people who will come out and evaluate the circumstance and then give permission for lethal means if warranted. Saying that, every game warden to animal control officer I have talked to has stated they aren't worried about people killing problem squirrels, unless they get a complaint (from a neighbor) in which they will have to investigate and more than likely will end of fining the homeowner.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

seriously, the only way I've found to solve this problem is to kill them with a gun. I've used a 12 gauge (overkill, but an easy shot) a .22 and a pellet gun. I recommend the pellet gun because it's much safer and quieter.
I'm not a troll, I've had serious problems, I've tried all sorts of traps and other methods, and have learned that I just need to shoot all the squirrels in my property. Just like mice or rats, just kill them as humanely and safely as possible. jmho.
Cam
:) does anyone have any proven methods :) that work in keeping squirrels away :) from the gutters & woodwork that they :) happen to be mounted on ? Try to cut back limbs close to the house. :) i've gone from live traps, to poisoning :) them with rat poison, and placing large :) spring loaded rat traps around the gutters, :) but still they keep coming !
Live trapping and a garbage can full of water is the one way you know that you are reducing the population. The problem is the squirrels that grew up in your soffet/attic area thinks that is where they are supposed to live rather than the trees. :) Any suggestions on lethal kill methods that :) can be deployed un-manned ? and/or ways to :) keep those squirrels at bay ? :) :) what would a "professional" exterminator do ? :) A pro will probably charge you $125 on up to set the trap then $50-$75 for each animal. If they provide repair service they will have an additional charge for the patch work. Stay away from moth balls, more times than not it is additional problems for the home owner.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
There is no "season" to get rid of them here except in winter they want in, where it is warm. They are determind as they have babies in their house not yours. They are rodents and must chew, so electric wires are a target, then you can have electric fires-no more house. Traps-relocation, poison and fuming, with moth balls and Gopher Bombs all work. I got to know one squirrel so well he screetched when he saw me, he knew I was after him.
Now they live outside and I feed them , at least 4 of them. Break the chain and you will be OK
Go to alt.guns with this question.

okay, I am about ready to get out the Franchi SPAS-12 and start blasting away at the ^$#@ pests ! *****************************************
I had a squirrel problem and used the recommendations of this site: http://www.unexco.com/SQ1.html This site also has a message board which is VERY useful.
I would get the Havahart 1040 trap---that model is best.
Bonnie in NJ
Bonnie Jean wrote:

Would?
A Havahart baited with peanut butter will yield a squirrel every day. They will knock themselves bloody trying to escape. And if they are left to sit in the sun until you get home, they will die from dehydration. This is cruel.
It's illegal he in the PRM (Peoples' Republic of MA) to transport the ones you catch. I worried about how far away I had to take them so they wouldn't come back. So, I spray painted them: yellow was to the woods a few houses away, pink was to the nearby forrest, and green was several miles away. A neighbor invited me for dinner and asked, "What makes squirrels turn yellow?" Before I could explain, she said a know-it-all at work told her it was pine pollen stuck to pine pitch. I told her to ask him what makes them turn pink and green.
The answer is none of them came back to my place. So, as long as someone has a bird feeder near the release point, you will be safe.
A Havahart baited with peanut butter will yield a squirrel every day. They will knock themselves bloody trying to escape. And if they are left to sit in the sun until you get home, they will die from dehydration. This is cruel.
It's illegal he in the PRM (Peoples' Republic of MA) to transport the ones you catch. I worried about how far away I had to take them so they wouldn't come back. So, I spray painted them: yellow was to the woods a few houses away, pink was to the nearby forrest, and green was several miles away. A neighbor invited me for dinner and asked, "What makes squirrels turn yellow?" Before I could explain, she said a know-it-all at work told her it was pine pollen stuck to pine pitch. I told her to ask him what makes them turn pink and green. ***************
Any decent website will tell you to take them 5-10 miles away. That's what I did. And I only set it up when I can take them away quickly. If I'm at work, I don't leave the trap set up. And none of mine bloodied themselves. Bonnie