Friggin' microwave died....need replacement recommendations.

Page 1 of 2

Friggin' Frigidare brand over the range microwave died. It was only installed in 1987. Why it won't last longer than 19 years is beyond me. Damn shoddy products if you ask me.
I'll hit the library tomorrow to look at the Consumer Reports stuff on over the stove micros. I understand CR did a report in August, 2006, so some of the models CR tested might even still be available.
In the interim though, anybody have any recent good / bad experiences with over the stove microwaves that they've installed in the last, say, two years?
I'm interested especially if you installed your own and how that went; or, if you paid an installer, what that cost. I'm in the Portland Oregon area.
I'm also interested if you really like / dislike the brand / model you got.
My primary use is going to be reheating left overs and defrosting stuff if the past is any guide. Not cooking big meals. Old one did not have a turntable.
I had a Sharp that finally died. Went to Sears and ordered another Sharp. When it arrived, I picked it up only to find shipping damage. Ordered another one which arrived OK. Mine was a built-in. When I replaced it, the new one was slightly smaller, so I have some gaps. Dang trim kits are around $100 so I'm going to eventually try to recut the larger one that I got for the first one. Sharp has been a reliable brand for me.
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:53:11 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

Tom Kendrick wrote:

I also have a Sharp and it has been troublefree for the past 11 years. I installed it myself without any problems, other than having to a electrical circuit to it.
Bob
The old one might just need a fuse replaced; but, you may want to invest in a new one anyway. Check with friends and relatives and see if they can help you find the old fuse to see if it just needs replacement.
--
Have a Great Week !

Check Winter Haven\'s Current Weather
barbarow wrote:

Its not the fuse, its the pushbutton membrane switches that are failing. The "7" digit switch died about 2 years ago, but I didn't really need that. This week the "Cancel" switch died as did the "Change" switch. Fuses are easy and cheap. Hell, magnatron tubes are easy, but not cheap. Damn membrane switches and the printed circuit boards behind them are neither easy nor cheap. ;{

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:53:11 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

I have a HUGE Panasonic microwave/convection oven that has been heavily used for over 20 years and still going strong. I'm baking a cake in it right now. The turntable must be unbelievably strong because it's been spinning 14 pound turkeys every holiday for at least the last 15 years. When it dies I'm going to try real hard to find another HUGE microwave/convection but they are scarce.

snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

When I was at the Borg yesterday, getting some other things, I just drifted by the appliance section. The BORG was heavily pushing at least three models of combined microwave / convection over the stove units with a GE label on them.
I understand there are some folks who post on this group who are not enamored of GE products. <G>.

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 23:59:28 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

A good convection has to be BIG for proper air circulation.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

I assume that was meant to be a humerous remark. The heart of a microwave oven is a magnetron tube, similar to a magnetron tube used in radar sets. They work hard and go bad just like any other electron tube. I'd say you were very lucky to get 19 years use out of the thing.
Don't expect any microwave that you buy today to last more than a few years. They are all now junk made in China. The old ones made in the 80's were much better. I still have my Tappan that was made in USA in 1989..
On 6 Dec 2006 20:46:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Devil's advocate: My big Kenmore from Sears, bot about 5-6 years ago? still works great.
The golden oldies you rave about -- didn't they leak radiation a lot? Straight question: Looking for info.
Aspasia
Bob wrote:

Yep.
The heart of a

I agree about 19 years being good.
Its not the magnetron. Thats still humming along making meat defrost and reheating cffee cups. Its a few but not all of the membrane push button switches.

Panasonic.
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

I really like my big Panasonic. 1200W, 2.2 cu ft.
The coolest part is the steam sensor. Reheating food generally involves two button pushes; "sensor reheat", and "start".
Plus you can set it so button pushes don't make any beeping noise.
Chris
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 01:31:29 -0600, Chris Friesen

Avoid Emerson - Mine has a timer only for the microwave - no aux kitchen timer - Also after running it for more than 10 minutes, the thermal swich opens up and it needs to cool down to restart.
Never had that problem with a Sharp or Panasonic.
On the other hand, when I bought it new six months ago, it was unbelievably cheap. About $65 on sale - This for a 1000 watt unit with a turntable.
Beachcomber

Get the largest that will fit in the space you have. Nothing more frustrating that something that won't fit in your microwave. More room also lets your popcorn bags expand properly!
An "Inverter" model will warm food much more evenly when defrosting as it doesn't just cycle on/off to get lower powers (ie, an old model set for 50% power will go on at 100% power for three seconds, then 0% power for three seconds, repeat until timer reaches zero.) An inverter model can actually run the magnetron to produce 50% of the microwave power.
Turntable is pretty much a must and I doubt that you will find one without.
Another (expensive) feature is convection microwave. It will actually bake and brown food. When it comes time to replace my Panasonic I'll check into them.
I have an old Sharp. Don't even know how old, as I bartered it for an unused dog house about 12 years ago. It's a countertop model and works perfectly, although sometimes I almost wish it *would* quit working so I could justify getting an over-the-stove model!
Jo Ann
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

Avoid Magic Chef!
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:53:11 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

Good time to get a countertop model. Nothing more annoying than trying to get a hot mug out of an over-the-stove microwave.