Fried outlet

I had an outage due to my own ****ing foolishness. Flipped the relevant breaker & all was well -- I thought.

Went to watch a little TV before sleep; whole "entertainment center" dark. Traced it to wall outlet which powered the whole shebang. So now great big yellow power cord trailing across bedroom floor to unaffected outlet.

My few attempts at installing new outlets in another room didn't work out too great (though I followed instructions exactly), and I can ill afford to pay an electrician to do the job.

Is this do-able by a non-techie?

(Also, why just that one outlet fried?)

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

*Shut off the power to that circuit and take the outlet apart to see what's going on inside. It may have fried because you use it more than others or maybe that outlet feeds other outlets or things on that circuit and as a result there is a lot of heat. There could also be loose connections that finally failed. You didn't mention what you did to trip the circuit breaker, but by doing that you may have pushed a marginal problem to failure. It's also possible that the problem may be from another outlet that feeds this particular outlet.

Take your time. Double check that the power is off at each outlet that you work on. If you get stuck, post some pictures and give us the link so that we can properly advise you.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Just remember, black wire goes to the copper screw that is also associated with the narrower of the two plug/outlet blades./ The white wires goe to the silver screw which is associated with the wider of the two outlet blades. The round pin / safety ground of the outlet goes to any green wires and to the metal box the outlet should be mounted inside of.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Wasn't that the outlet where you were foolish?

When I was just out of college, my girlfriend's friend asked how I fixed things, and I said, Well first you look at it until you understand it.

Twenty years later she still brought that up, thought that was funny, I guess because when she looked at whatever it was, she didn't see anything.

Reply to
mm

Twenty years?? In that time you should have learned this truism...

Women do not think.

Reply to
dadiOH

Congratulations!! You spelled "engineering" and "science" correctly. Another year or two of intensive study and practice and you may find the caps lock key on your computer.

Reply to
dadiOH

Either your entertainment center is huge and sucking a ton of power, or else you have some large loads on that outlet besides the entertainment center. Normally a tv and stereo only draw a few amps at most. What is all on that circuit? (including other outlets)?

Could be the outlet itself was bad. Worn contacts and loose wires can cause them to overheat and fry.

Why are you hesitating to replace the thing? In the time it took you to post this message, you could have changed the outlet, and a new outlet only costs $2 to $3. Less if you get a cheap one (not recommended).

If you're afraid to change it, call an electrician, or at least find a friend or relative who knows how to do it and is handy with tools. This is normally a very simple repair, and is safe as long as the power is shut off during the repair. Personally, from what you said, I'd suggest getting temporary second job to earn the money to pay an electrician, because it sounds like you're too stupid to do this repair yourself.

Reply to
jw

No, I never had a job. I always worked for myself and retired rich as Croesus so a big > BOOWAHAHAHAHAHA to you too.

Reply to
dadiOH

Or.............I fixed your computer, but it still doesn't work. :)

Reply to
Metspitzer

Let me count the ways to say: "I am an idiot".

  1. Not just one outlet fried. Traced other outlets on that circuit; all dead.

  1. Huge panic; I may have to call electrician to deal with whole circuit.

  2. Then wondered why one circuit came right back on after the short, when I flipped breaker, but not the other.

  1. So went out to look at breaker box again. No breaker was out of line, as when a circuit blows.

  2. But I thought whatthell, I'll flip the appropriate breaker just in case.

  1. So of course everything came back on.

  2. Never was a fried outlet.

  1. I am an idiot

BUT: Now curious why the 2nd breaker didn't look like it had blown. Aren't they all supposed look conspicuously out of place? Inquiring minds..

HB.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

My experience has been that some breakers trip and move visibly, while other breakers trip and it is impossible to see that the handle has moved. I routinely just cycle them off and then on.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Close (by a few centuries) but no cigar. One of the most famous love poems in the English language. Elizabeth Barrett Browning to her husband Robert:

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of Being and ideal Grace. I love thee to the level of everyday=EF=BF=BDs Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight. I love thee freely, as men strive for Right; I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise. I love thee with the passion put to use In my old griefs, and with my childhood=EF=BF=BDs faith. I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints,=EF=BF=BDI love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life!=EF=BF=BDand, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson