fridge stopped cooling

I just noticed that the orange juice is not ice cold like usual. The lights works but nothing else on the fridge seems to. No compressor or fan. What should I check first before I call the guy? Is there a reset button?

TIA, Kathy

Reply to
Kathy

check to see if the temp control knob got bumped.

Reply to
digitalmaster

usual.

reset

Checked that. I also tryed turning it off and waiting a few minutes and then turning it back to normal setting. This has a single knob.

Reply to
Kathy

Empty the fridge and freezer. Carefully lay it on its back. There is a red reset button under the bottom just about in the middle. There is a small sheetmetal plate with one screw covering it. Reset it and you should be fine.

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba might be right, but since you did not note what fridge you have, I don't think you should be laying it on it's back, most are not designed for that and it would damage them.

I would suggest that you may want to unplug it for say 30 minutes and pug it back in. I doubt if it will work, but at least it is easy and safe to do.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My Kenmore (Whirlpool) refrigerator recently quit cooling. The lights and water dispenser worked. It was a bad compressor relay. $212.00

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

minutes and

easy and safe

Son of a bitch. It came back on.

Reply to
Kathy

Nope. Total Bullchit! I was just "yankin some chain"

Reply to
Bubba

Damit! I hate when that f***in happens.

Reply to
Bubba

Advice I have is that after a fridge has been transported, especially if it was laid 'flat' not carried upright, to not operate the fridge for an hour or two?

This from an experienced individual who installed complete systems and also was agent for warranty work for several brands in a semi rural area.

Reason; to allow the refrigerant and any lubrication to drain into the compressor. Failure to wait 'may' cause the compressor to burn out etc.

True? Comments?

PS. A typical situation; someone buys a new fridge and has it transported home laid flat in it's cardboard container in the back of a pickup. Reaching home the 'new' fridge is carried inside the house, being thoroughly shaken up and jostled in the whole process and immediately plugged in. Shortly after, or a day or so later the fridge fails and is taken back to be repaired/replaced under warranty. Accordingly some sellers prefer to have the fridge delivered by their own staff or their choice of shipper. Mostly these days I see fridges, when people move house, upright in the moving vehicle.

Reply to
Terry

The defrost timer could be going south.

If so, it'll stick in defrost again. If it does...

The timer is only 40 bucks or so, if you can find a nerd down teh street to put it in for you.

It could be other things, though. The condenser fan may be faulty, causing teh compressor to overheat and cut out on thermal protection. It cools overnight, then will run for a few days...

however: The model number and serial number is ALWAYS most helpful, when enquiring for online advise for any HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCE...

If you have to call a pro, it'll cost well over $100, no matter how minor the repair.

I know. I've worked for enough appliance repair outfits, before I went solo.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

Happens to my fridge two or three times a year, usually when there is an unusually cold spell. The explanation is that ice had formed in the cold air transfer duct from the freezer compartment to the main compartment and blocked it. Put your hand against the air vent at the back of the fridge, the one that has a min-max slider to restrict the air flow. Even at 'max' it is likely you won't feel any cold air coming through.

This duct runs inside the insulated wall of the fridge and wll be hard to thaw. My solution is to empty the fridge and leave all the doors open to thaw out the blockage. This thaw will take a few hours and best done overnight. Remove all the stuff from the freezer and put into a picnic cooler. Do whatever is needed to keep the other food from spoiling. Use the opportunity to clean the fridge throughly. Put a few dry rags on the botom of the fridge to absorb the meltwater.

When done and powered up again you should feel the blast of cold air through the transfer duct grille.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Um, she said the compressor wasn't running...

Blocked air duct is irrelevant. At least, and worst, it would short-cycle, even with no fans and blocked airflow.

Reading comprehension 101...

Reply to
~^Johnny^~