Fridge runs when door opens.

This Whirlpool fridge will run for half an hour each time the door is open for 1-sec, and runs very loudly. All the cold air will pour into the tile floor each time the door is cracked open. My previous fridge doesn't do this.

I am unsure how to solve this problem other than to try using the upper freezer more often. Since opening the upper door won't cause the fridge to run as long. What is the best way to prevent most of the cold air from escaping once the door is open?

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Zimmerman

Well, you better go catch it!

(I'm really, really sorry. I couldn't resist!)

Reply to
Adam

The modern version is probably "Give it some zyrtec"

Reply to
Robert Morien

Put stuff in it?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

"Tim Zimmerman" wrote

I can't imagine why anyone would want to open the door for one second, that's not enough time to find something and remove it even if you know where it is.

If the refrigerator is keeping the food well then it's probably working as it should be. I think you are looking for problems that don't exist.

Reply to
Ed

Upper freezer? Do you have more than one? What configuration is the fridge, freezer on top/bottom, side by side?

Anyway. the problem may not be the running but the running loud. Troubleshoot that problem and you may not care. You can also try fiddling with the temperature controls especially the one that controls airflow between the compartments (as opposed to the thermostat). Customer support for consumer applicances is generally pretty good. Call the company (or sears) hotline for tips.

There really isn't a way to keep the cold in when you open it. You can try rearranging the shelves and bins or stocking more heavy items near the bottom (like 2 gallons of milk). A well loaded fridge has a large thermal mass (which stores cold) and less air to loose.

Reply to
AutoTracer