Fridge - repair or discard?

We have a relatively new (7 years old) Magic Chef refrigerator in my rent house. It's a nice unic that cost us around $800 new. Looks like the compressor has died.
Is it worthwhile fixing this? My dad can do the work for free, and get the compressor for $150, yet his first comment was to get a new refrigerator. This from a guy that scavenges old window units and repairs them for resale ;)
What am I missing here?
Rex in Fort Worth
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:48:58 +0000, Rex B wrote:

I would raise hell with Magic Chef, an $800 fridge should not need a compressor that soon. I had a problem with Frigidaire after approx the same time and they supplied the part for free (just keep escalating your problem to the next level supervisor and write letters). Also, look into used compressors.

Meantime, eat only dried foods that do not have to be refrigerated.
Your plan may work, but it may not be very practical. Besides, the warranty is usually five years. While not impossible, it is difficult to get satisfaction after that time. Ed
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:48:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote:

Eight years is about the cut off point for repair-replace of a refrigerator. For $150 you could get another 5 or 10 years service from it. A new refrigerator will have better energy efficiency, probably a more quiet unit, and perhaps some new features (temp controlled bins, beverage dispenser, etc) that will serve you better. Of course, if your Dad does the work what will you do in return?
you say "rent house" well if you are paying the electricity new units can be 75 % more efficent, having a 4 year payback at 0.125 KWH , Sears has the most efficent 19.5 cu ft top freezer models
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:35:53 -0600, m Ransley wrote:

https://ewb.bchydro.com/hep/appcalc/pg1.asp?ID=2
According to my utility a fridge under 10 years uses 780kwh $45/yr @5.77cents/kwh and 1380 kwh $82/yr. The fridge posted here is under 10 years.
and 1380 kwh $82/yr. The fridge posted here is under

This is Turtle.
He said Rent House. No saving for him. Nobody pay Electric for renters anymore. You can go to school doing that.
TURTLE

If the compressor fried, then it is not worth the effort. Reclaiming the gas and oil may be contaminated. If so you will need a new compressor, filter, and condensing coils, inside the box and outside.
If you want a project go ahead. As for a used compressor I would not even consider that idea. They are sealed units and you would never know for how long it was going to work. Good luck with your decision

was this defrost timer thing,after the fridge shut off would keep ticking and making weird noises.So i say get a second opinion.
snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEtxol.net (Rex B) wrote in message
Hi,

Check your warranty....some are 5 years and soem are 10 year warranty on the compressor!

$300-400 usually to replace a compressor ( parts, labour, ect )....probably worth it on a 7 year old fridge....most refrigerators last 10-15 years approx.

Refrigerators are different than airconditioners....different refrigerant gases/pressures/etc.

Key words: Looks like
Are you sure? Some things may be wrong that lead you to believe it is the compressor, but it may not be. If it is repairable under $150, it would be worth fixing. Much above that, it gets you looking at new. Ed

This is Turtle.
I have changed maybe a thousand compressors through the years for customers and I never really seen any good results by doing so. there will be some good results but most are not. I don't change anymore but this is from the past.
Now one point here. if your going to replace the compressor with a universial compressor. Expect hell. If you change it. Go OEM and you may get by on a good job.
TURTLE
For the most part, manufacturers have turned most appliances into throwaway items. For example, I bought a new washer recently because it needed a new motor. A replacement motor would have cost me about $150 or so. Not worth fixing a mid 1980's washer at those prices when I can get a new washing machine for the low $300's.
On 22 Jan 2004 06:55:00 -0800, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote:
|For the most part, manufacturers have turned most appliances into |throwaway items. For example, I bought a new washer recently because |it needed a new motor. A replacement motor would have cost me about |$150 or so. Not worth fixing a mid 1980's washer at those prices |when I can get a new washing machine for the low $300's.
Thanks all for the input. I need to chase down the original docs on the off-chance there is a warranty.
Rex in Fort Worth
For rental apts I often buy used and get a 30 day warranty, It has been worth it.
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:32:08 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:
|For rental apts I often buy used and get a 30 day warranty, It has been |worth it.
I've been looking at that. The renter is my daughter and her husband, so I'd pay a little more than if it were a stranger.
Rex in Fort Worth
Rex B wrote:

year old washers. And a washing machine is mostly motor. 6 years for a refrigerator isn't long. So it depends on what your model is like. The price of a compressor is probably about the same whether your refrigerator is a $300 model or a $1200 model. If you have a cheaper refrigerator it IS likely that having someone repair your refrigerator isn't economically justfied.
How do you know it's the compressor? I can think of several other components that would cause the comp to stop running:
Defrost timer Cold Control Extrabulator Start Relay Overload
I'm curious what logic or reasoning you used to conclude the comp is shot.
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season