Fridge/ Refrigerator Knocking Noises at the End of Cooling Cycles

Hi,

I have an 16 year old fridge. It is a standard refrigerator with freezer on top and the main compartment at the bottom.

About a month ago, the fridge began to make series of knocking noises at the end of the cooling cycle.

At first, the noise happened occasionally, but it was repeating more frequently. The noise becomes regular, occurring at the end of EACH cooling cycle.

The noise is also getting louder.

The noise appears to come from the bottom of the back of the fridge.

The fridge works fine; it is as cool as it was before.

I have googled this group and the misc.consumers.house group, but some of the answers were unrelated to my situation.

Can you please suggest ways to look into this situation?

Thank you very much for your help!

Reply to
ERIC ANDERSSON

Ask them, there is more than one way to install granite tops. They'll tell you what they need you to do. I put TEMP plywood on top of the cabinets for the 4 weeks that it took for the stone to be prepared. The granite guys wanted me to remove the ply & beef up the cabinet framing before they arrived to do the install, which I did the AM before they arrived.

Rudy

This is Turtle.

There is Usely only 3 things that happens when you get a knocking noise under the compressor area. It's the Condenser coil dirty and causing the compressor to over load, compressor springs loose inside the compressor or the fan blade hitting the housing if it has a fan under it. The fan hitting and dirty coil is something about the only thing that can be looked at. Check the condeser coil and if the fan blade is hitting the housing.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

possibly compressor wearing out but first I would check the rubber "washer" motor mounts under the compressor. Sixteen years and all the heat from the compressor, they may have fallen apart, thus the compressor would not be cushioned on its' mounts as it shuts down.

Reply to
Tom

! Hi,

No make/model# posted....if the knocking noise is like a banging at all, a copy....

My fridge makes a bang noise when it shuts off: Sorry to say most times this is a faulty compressor. A compressor is a electric motor and pump mounted from springs inside the black dome, if one of these springs stretches or breaks the motor and pump hits the outer casing dome and bangs when it shuts off. Other things to check for, tubing touching one another, something fallen behind the fridge, condenser fan motor blade hitting something, defrost condensing pan out of place.

If it *is* the compressor making this noise, it -may- still operate for years before ever quiting ( many do ) or the banging could get worse and do permenant damage to the compressor requring it to be changed or a new refrigerator.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

start saving up for a new refrigerator... if its the compressor and the unit is 16 yrs. old its not worth fixing it.... the knocking noise is coming from the compressor.. might last a long time, just get used to the noise and take it as a warning of whats coming: a new unit......

Reply to
jim

mine started doing the same thing several weeks ago. it is a GE side-by-side, about 10-14 years old. I will not get it fixed if it is compressor-I do not like side-by-side fridges.

but I will check some of the other possibilities mentioned here.

it just doesn't seem like side-by-sides have the room that top-freezers have. stuff is harder to get to in fridge.

I have an 16 year old fridge. It is a standard refrigerator with freezer on top and the main compartment at the bottom.

About a month ago, the fridge began to make series of knocking noises at the end of the cooling cycle.

At first, the noise happened occasionally, but it was repeating more frequently. The noise becomes regular, occurring at the end of EACH cooling cycle.

The noise is also getting louder.

The noise appears to come from the bottom of the back of the fridge.

The fridge works fine; it is as cool as it was before.

I have googled this group and the misc.consumers.house group, but some of the answers were unrelated to my situation.

Can you please suggest ways to look into this situation?

Thank you very much for your help!

Reply to
stevef