Fridge pops, snaps, clunks

Amana Energy Saver 18 cu. ft., fridge on bottom, freezer on top, from 1984, in constant service in a midwest US home.

Makes lots of strange noises. Pops, snaps, clunks, and the like. I figger it is the plastic liners expanding and contracting.

Is this a common problem with old refrigerators? Anything that can be done? New ones any better??

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

Our 10 year old refrigerator does that when auto defrost is working. Do you have auto defrost? ww

Reply to
WW

Defrosting will make those noises. Especially with more humidity, worn door gaskets, more opening and closing etc...

Reply to
A. Baum

Yes, but it seems to do it when it's not defrosting as well.

Puddin' Man

No.

The noises have been going on for years. I vac the bottom out and inspect at least once a year. No evidence of elec. problem.

Puddin' Man

"Gawd In Heaven!!!"

And you've still got it? You just endure all the noise?? Like me??? :-(

At least mention the brand.

Puddin' Man

Had a girlfriend in NYC that lived 50' away from the elevated subway tracks. The building shook, windows clattered and the sound of steel wheels braking on steel rails razored through your ears. After a month, I hardly heard it any more and after two months, back home in my own bed, I couldn't sleep because it was so damn quiet. It's amazing what people get used to and how fast it happens. Mucked out stables one summer. Became completely immune to the smell of horseshit although others around me (like my family) forced me to change inside the front door and leave my clothes on the porch.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green