Fridge has ice up the back, but doesn't seem to be cold !

We have a fridge freezer, the freezer seems to be fine but the fridge is not very cold. There is quite a lot of space at the back of the unit so I don't think that is the problem. I've just defrosted it, and that didn't seem to help.
Strangly, if I really turn the unit to max cold (only one control which sets both freezer and fridge), ice seems to build up at the back of the fridge, but the whole fridge doesn't seem to get very cold.
This seems really odd to me, how can the back freeze but stuff in the door stay luke warm.
If there usually come kind of fan (which might have broken) to blow air around the fridge from the freezer ?
Would appreciate any help or advice. Its a decent Bosch unit, but is getting a little old now, maybe its time to get a new one.
Chees
Jim
I had the same thing happen to my Kenmore. It iced up/froze so bad inside that there was no air circulating to the refrigerator. Once I took off the back of the freezer compartment, from the inside, I could see how badly it was frozed. Had to deice for 24 hours or longer to get it to all melt. Then it was fine again for 6 months. Finally got a new more efficient model.
I saw on tv that if your frig is over 15 years old it is time to buy a new one, even if the present one works fine. The new ones are so much more effecient.

Defrost it for a day you may have cooling passages blocked, yes a fan should be running so if it doesnt cool right then, get a repairman out, it could be a few thing wrong.
Hi,

Model#? Cycle defrost, frost free, manual defrost?
E-NR KGV2604-GB/01
I think the fridge is auto defrost, but the freezer isn't. It was bought it 1996, so isn't that old.
Also, I left it unplugged for at least 15 hours, and put some bowls of hot water in it. I think it was fully defrosted. Maybe it is the fan ! Should you be able to feel cold air being blown into the fridge ?
On 25 Nov 2005 04:56:18 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

IIUC Frost-free freezers blow air OUT of the freezer, so humidity doesn't get in. Where it gets the air to blow out, I wonder.
In fridges, the cold air falls out of the refigerator, because cold air is heavier than warm air.
We've all been told, I think, not to stand there with the door open because it gets warm inside, but since most of that I would think is the cold air falling out, I wonder how long that really takes. If it only takes 10 seconds or 20, once you've stood there that long, you might as well stand there longer, no?
Hi,
UK product?

Sounds like a cycle defrost....FF section frosts up and defrost itself when the unit cycles off, the freezer is a manual defrost. These oftne have an evaporator that frosts up between the walls in the back of the FF section to cool the FF section, and -often- do not have a fan.

Weak refrigeration system ( compressor, gas charge ), light staying on inside when the door is closed, control not staying on long enough are -some- possible trouble makers.
unplug, open all doors. remove service kickplate and clean all coils below or behind which are full of dirt and dog hair. blow 24 hours with a 20 inch window fan at room temperature. during this time, refer to this website:
http://fixitnow.com /
buffalobill Wrote: > unplug, open all doors.

--
Gingertoad

Not strange once you find the culprit. Good chance the evaporator fan motor is shot. It is behind a panel somplace. Find it, check it out and replace if needed.
www.repairclinic.com will have some info.
Could be a couple of other things also. It will have to be defrosted to get rid of any buildup.
snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

1. Ice is a very good insulator. Lots of ice prevents cooling. 2. Abnormal amounts of ice indicate an air leak somewhere (humid air gets in, freezes).
This is Turtle.
it sounds like you have a defrost problem and i think buffalobill hit close to the anwser to the problem.
TURTLE