fridge filter light won't reset

I've got a one year old Whirlpool Gold fridge. The indicator for replacing the water filter flipped to red a few days ago and the taste of the water was getting a bit coppery(?) so I went and bought a new filter and plugged it in.

The water coming out now tastes fine, but I can't get the indicator to go back to green. It's of the "press and hold" variety, but when I press and hold, it blinks green a few times but stays red. I've experimented with holding varying amounts of time, but no luck.

Anybody have any ideas? This isn't worth calling a repairman, but it would be nice to see the green.

Reply to
eglamkowski

Oh pshaw, on Tue 15 Aug 2006 06:45:50p, meant to say...

Did you read the owner's manual for details?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Yeah, but it didn't have anything useful.

In fact, it's got about two sentences on the indicator light, and it's not a question that appears under the trouble shooting section.

Reply to
eglamkowski

Oh pshaw, on Tue 15 Aug 2006 07:11:13p, meant to say...

Bummer. I had a Whirlpool with that feature 3-4 years ago in another house. I can't recall the details, but never had a problem with the reset. Sounds like it could be a defect. Obviously, the filter works independently from the indicator light, which is really just a timer indicator. It doesn't really measure water usage. Is it still under warranty?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Oh pshaw, on Tue 15 Aug 2006 07:11:13p, meant to say...

Oh, one other thing to try. Unplug the fridge and let it stand without power for 20-30 minutes. See if it resets itself or can be reset by holding in after that.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

While probably a differant system, mine says to press and release the button

5 times within 10 seconds.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Are you completely sure it's supposed to be "press and hold"? To reset the light on our fridge (KitchenAid, made by Whirlpool), you press the door switch five times quickly. Can't hurt to try that, at any rate.

Reply to
Andrew Koenig

While standing on tiptoe and wearing a tutu. And don't forget it has to be under a full moon too......

Call wirlpool customer no-service and ask them. The number should be in the instruction book. Have the model number handy when you call.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg