Freshly soldered joint leaks; what now?

Page 2 of 2
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

And in that regard, brave sir, your project was not a complete failure. It was partially successful. Unfortunately, you have more work to do.
You are also to be commended for your self-honesty.
Good luck with your project.
--
:)
JR

Blow the lines clear of water, and re-sweat the joints with lots of paste.
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in

As already said, redo it. There are several thing that make a good job. One is to make sure the joints are REALLY cleaned. Shiny copper clean.
Get yourself some inside & outside tubing cleaners. Good for lots of other stuff too but don't get them cruddy then use to clean tubing.
http://search.hardwarestore.com/?query=tube%20brush&tId "10
Red Green wrote:

I am happy to report the job is finished and no more leaks. I wandered down to Lowes and bought a few things: specifically a heat shield and a MAP torch. I cut a new section, cleaned up the ends bright and shiny, fluxed the unions and the ends of the tubing and had at it.
The map torch was a big improvement over the propane torch I had been using. One of the things I liked was the momentary switch on it... I pressed the trigger, the gas came on and then it ignited. ZIt stayed ignited until i let go of the trigger, allowing me to free up my hands very quickly. I also dug out the knee pads which made it much more comfortable.
So, bottom line: next fall when the temperatures start dropping, I can turn off the water under the house, access a port on the valve and then blow out the line from the valveto under the back deck to the outside faucet on the edge of the deck... leaving no water in the line to freeze and split. Life is good.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Fri, 2 May 2008 15:50:01 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

BRAVO!
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in

Attaboy!
That's one thing I don't have is a mapp torch. From what I hear, once you've tried it you never go back ;-) Maybe it's my propane torch head but I hate that when I tilt the torch various ways the flame changes.
Is that a torch head issue anyone? If so, does the same thing happen with mapp?
Red Green wrote:

phase fuel enters the torch the flame will be impacted.
About 15 years ago I gave up and visited my trusty pawn shop. I came out with an acetylne B-bottle and a turbo torch on a 50 foot hose. I'll never go back to the tank with a torch on top.
Boden
Those turbo torches, the ones that whistle like a jet engine? Mapp is about the same temp range. And you don't have to use a sparker. I'd much rather have a mapp tank, than a B=tank and long hose.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

work out. Long term satisfaction. MLD
MLD wrote:

Sure it does but the costs... I must have $200 tied up in this job.... $10 in parts and the rest in some very nice tools. I admit to being a tool nut and will use any rationalization to justify the purchase of nice tools. And I'm set for the next time!
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Reading this I'm like man the borg must be 30 miles away and he's got an old 350 with a 4 barrel getting 8mi/gal.

Then LOL.

That much, eh? :)

No sh*t. Been there, done that.
--
:)
JR

Ah, this is turning into a support group. Tool junkies of the world, unite!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Amen! Once that new tool has been used, it has paid for itself!
--
:)
JR

On May 1, 11:11 am, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

PEX